One hefty devastating vet bill later: Latest on my Talloolah and her 'RNS'

jhider

I am sorry about your tortoises diagnoses and your hefty bill.
I am curious how your new vet determined your tortoise was 60 and not 40 years of age.

To be quite honest I don't know! We've only had her 11 years and the previous owners told us she was about 30. But we believe she was wild caught so I assume it has caused some confusion at some point in the time line. The Vet performed an xray and an ultrascan before suggesting the age different (if that helps)

jhider

Update: Talloolahs new home for recovery, it's far from the whole garden that she's used to but will allow me to keep a good eye on her for the next few months whilst she fights through her poorlyness :(:tort:

Attachments

• 20160612_183724.jpg
    20160612_183724.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 21

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
That looks very similar to Joe's hospital quarters :)

A dark coloured paving slab under the basking lamp will warm up quickly and provide a really good basking spot.

I had an upturned cardboard box with a hole cut in it as somewhere for Joe to hide when he needed to.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That looks very similar to Joe's hospital quarters :)

A dark coloured paving slab under the basking lamp will warm up quickly and provide a really good basking spot.

I had an upturned cardboard box with a hole cut in it as somewhere for Joe to hide when he needed to.
This is an early picture before I got the lamp stands and paving slab
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465757667.379375.jpg
He liked the bricks to climb on. And they could be rearranged to break sight lines

Trays of supermarket living lettuce provided browsing for him

jhider

This is an early picture before I got the lamp stands and paving slab
View attachment 177112
He liked the bricks to climb on. And they could be rearranged to break sight lines

Trays of supermarket living lettuce provided browsing for him

Fab thanks for the idea. Will get some bits and bobs to put in there eventually to make it less dull for her

Rue

Canada
That's an excellent update! So glad to hear it! :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Talloolah had another check up today. She's gaining weight, eating more everyday, less congested although still very snotty. It's early days but the Vet was delighted with her progress in just 10 days of antibiotics :tort::):<3:
I am delighted to hear this :)

Kasia

Poland
Talloolah had another check up today. She's gaining weight, eating more everyday, less congested although still very snotty. It's early days but the Vet was delighted with her progress in just 10 days of antibiotics :tort::):<3:
I assume that the cyst operation is for now a secondary problem but maybe after she will get by the pneumonia you can start a Vet-surgery-turism and visit Poland :) for 1000 pounds you could here pay for the surgery at good reptile Vets office and you torts weekly accomodation, pay for the flight/trip, accomodation and your expences. That is really horrible how much you have to pay for your pet well-being in UK :( hugs and kisses to your torty :*