One of my ebt eggs started to hatch this morning

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
The head and leg is out so I moved her/him out of the vermiculite and into a bowl with moist paper towels and poked holes around top of bowl and put a lid on and back into the incubator is this right please respond?????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The head and leg is out so I moved her/him out of the vermiculite and into a bowl with moist paper towels and poked holes around top of bowl and put a lid on and back into the incubator is this right please respond?????
That should be okay, but I prefer to leave them in their incubator on the vermiculite until the get out of their egg under their own power. I always add lots of water to the media upon seeing my first pip.

Indiana
That should be okay, but I prefer to leave them in their incubator on the vermiculite until the get out of their egg under their own power. I always add lots of water to the media upon seeing my first pip.
Well I have 5 other eggs in there as well so I was afraid to add any water or to let him hatch fully put in there near them so what should I do??????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I have 5 other eggs in there as well so I was afraid to add any water or to let him hatch fully put in there near them so what should I do??????
I add the water when I see a first pip in one egg in shoe boxes with 24 eggs. If that one egg is pipping, any other fertile eggs are also close to term and will benefit from the extra water.

Too much water is definitely a problem early in incubation, but its nothing but good when they are hatching. Many species hatch during a heavy rain in the wild, and adding water simulates that. If they get too dry while trying to extricate themselves from their egg, the albumin and other stuff can get like glue. On the flip side, it really can't be too wet when they are hatching.

BTW, have you heard of the water method of raising hatchling box turtles? I don't have experience with tiny hatchlings, but it sounds like the way to go. Its been discussed here on the forum a few times. Baby box turtles are really semi-aquatic and they can dehydrate so quickly.