one question

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
well since i am kind of on a budget i think i am going to stick to getting a russian like i was in the beginning ;) but i just want to know because i am looking at a captive bred adult and wanted to keep it outside, but if its outside a lot, would 70-(high 80's sometimes) in the summer?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
That is definitely not too hot for a Russian. Mine are outside 24/7 and I am in So Cal where it gets to 100 regularly. Of course they always have shade, hides, places to dig, and water available. :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Russians are more durable than really any tortoise when it comes to being too hot or too cold. But russian adults need to be kept very dry. The upkeep on an adult in the summer will be far less than a baby though.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
yeah i think i'll make an enclosure for when it is dry and hot which should be another month, but mostly keep it inside

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I havent seen too many russians for sale besides babies and WC adults. But you should be able to find a captive bred adult male for pretty cheap. Somewhere in the 70-100 range is around what they go for a smaller (4-5 in.) CB male. You may be able to find something on your local craigslist.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
thank you :D my dad told me the guy was going to send us a shipping quote or something like that so i guess that means i am getting it :):D:p;):tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
As long as your Russian has a dry burrow and gets enough sun, he can be left outside. Then he will become active on his own when conditions are right above ground (about 70-85*F, pretty sunny, and not too windy). If the weather gets too hot or too cold, he will retreat into his burrow again.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I also live in Washington state and my Russians are out full time right now. They do have hides that they can retreat to. They sleep there at night only, and hang out under plants during the day. They love daytime temps in the 70-80's. Nights have been in the 60's but would be fine into the 50's.

If it rains (summer rain, not too cold), they sit at the door to their hides and look out....waiting.....

Make sure you pick a good spot that gets mostly sun and some shade in your yard. Your tort will love it.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
austinSOLO said:
yeah which city do you live in? because lately its been cloudy but in the 70's

Who me? I live in Westminster, Colorado.
My guys are not very active on cloudy days, even if it's nice and warm. Tortoises like sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.