Russian tort help

Chrismiss

So guys, Yesterday I recieved my adult russian tortoise in the mail. When i took him out he was happy and very active, and he still is. But I noticed whenever I am in his sight, he doesn't want to move and gets very scared. Is this normal for a russian and does this occur more in wild caught ones? I am pretty sure he is wild caught, (didnt have the money for a captive bred adult) ALSO how would i help him get more used to me and like me more, how could I interract with him and get him more used to me? THANK YOU ALL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very normal. Think of the trauma he just went through. Then he comes out of that into a strange place, a strange giant standing over him, that he thinks is going to eat him, cuz his enemies come from above.
Once he is accustomed to his new home and that you are actually the food god, he will come around and be less scared. Some do it faster then others. Some/most will pull into their shell every time you come around but most will come right back out once he realizes it's you. Give it some time. Days, weeks, months. There's no set time limit

Chrismiss

Ok, awesome. Thanks for the help, I realized he would figure out I was the food god after a couple days.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Oh my goodness, one day!

Sounds like he is doing pretty well, considering.

I know it's the hardest thing in the world to stay away! BUT! It's the best thing for your tortoise right now. You're at least fifty times his size, just a big ole' predator in his eyes.

Give him some time, things will get easier for both of you. :)