Oogway the mountain climber

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_girl85

5 Year Member
A few mornings ago my husband went downstairs to find Oogway flipped over on his back. We were pretty sure he wasn't like that all night, and that he flipped during his morning "feed me" march.

When I went downstairs a little later, this is what we saw...

"King of the hill"

SNC00438.jpg

"This can't end well..."

SNC00439.jpg

"OOPS!"

SNC00440.jpg

Well... now we know how he did it. I was really worried that he was going to keep doing the same thing, but ever since that last tumble, he seems to have gotten that out of his system...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
It makes you wonder why they do that? Are they bored or do they love to jump off of things? I'm glad that he is alright. :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hmm looks familiar...this is Nelson diving off of his log:
IMG_0792.jpg

:rolleyes:
(sorry it's blurry- I was reaching for him at the same time I took the picture :p)

I actually had to take his log out recently because I found him flipped over too many times :( I built up substrate on the sides of his log so he couldn't fall off that way, but he would still walk off the edge :rolleyes:

S

Scooter

Thor climbs on the top of his hide and I have not seen him jump off the end though at first he would flip over trying to climb down the side. Now he has learned to slide down the side to get off without flipping over. :D

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
haha, bad lil torts! theyre brave. I love how they sometimes balance themselves at the very edge. "Dive or no dive?!"

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We haven't found my little guy flipped from his log (only in his water!), but he loves to climb it. We built ramps on each side to make it easier for him. Haven't seen him go off the front.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I have read in a post that Chad's tortoises do the Dive-Off-the-Log game.

What matters is whether Oogway can right herself once she flips over. If she can't, I'd take the log out and use something else for a hide, or bury it down into the substrate so the drop isn't high enough for her to flip.

helensky

5 Year Member
One of my hermanns, Mini, gets right to the very edge of her log, has a look and maybe puts a foot over then backs out and climbs back down! Clearly not as hardcore as yours!

Chelsea

5 Year Member
Scooter said:
Thor climbs on the top of his hide and I have not seen him jump off the end though at first he would flip over trying to climb down the side. Now he has learned to slide down the side to get off without flipping over. :D

My 3 do this too!

S

Scooter

Chelsea said:
Scooter said:

My 3 do this too!

They are so smart. :D

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
I stood up some tall flat rocks against mine to keep rascal from doing that b/c he refuses to learn his lesson. I think he may be suicidal...
:/

Chelsea

5 Year Member
Lets hope not! Sounds like you have an adrenaline junkie tortoise!

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Wow, what a courageous lil one! My Russian rarely ever even approaches their log! They rarely walk through. I've never seen it climb! I'll have to remember this if I ever find the lil one flipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.