Opened the Portal to Skynet

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well, I did it. I now have Alexa devices listening to me putter around the house.

I can't help but wonder what the "ear in the sky" thinks when it hears things like "c'mon, baby, it's time for your soak", or "I'm not going to bite...just get on my hand". Or "oh, gee, you pooped on me again!"

I got an Echo Show 5, an Echo Spot, and several cameras.

Anyway, I need a bit of help from someone who knows Alexa. @Maro2Bear @Markw84 @Krista S

On the screens of the Echo devices I get a continuous stream of news items, suggestions, things Alexa can do...how do I turn that off? I just want the time and weather.

I was happy to see that the Show device actually has a plastic slide that physically covers the camera. However, the Spot does not, so I have to hope it's really off from the settings. @Tom has me so paranoid I may cover it with tape, or I could put a bag over the whole thing. ?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Congratulations, that’s so exciting! Unfortunately I’m of no help with the Echo Show and Echo Spot. Canada is always late to the game with these type of devices and those didn’t exist here when I bought my stuff. I just have the plain old Echo and a couple Echo Dots. I completely understand what you’re saying about wondering what someone would think if they were listening in. Hearing me say “oh, you’re such a big boy” and ”look at you, dirty boy!” a few times a day would raise a few eyebrows. ?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
On the screens of the Echo devices I get a continuous stream of news items, suggestions, things Alexa can do...how do I turn that off? I just want the time and weather.

I did a bit of looking around and found this...

How to change what shows on your Echo Show or Spot home screen
Your Echo Show or Echo Spot can show you more information than just the time, of course. This information is referred to as Home Cards. To choose which cards show on your home screen, swipe down from the home screen once more and select Settings. Go to Home & Clock > Home Cards.

The cards that can be displayed on the home screen are:

• Messaging
  • Weather
  • Notifications
  • Upcoming Events
  • Reminders
  • Drop In
  • Trending Topics
In this same menu, you can choose whether the cards are shown continuously while only periodically showing you the clock or rotated through once when new information is available.

I found this information and more useful tips here: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-customize-the-home-screen-on-your-echo-show-or-spot/

Hope this helps! If not, let me know and I can do some more investigating.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I did a bit of looking around and found this...

How to change what shows on your Echo Show or Spot home screen
Your Echo Show or Echo Spot can show you more information than just the time, of course. This information is referred to as Home Cards. To choose which cards show on your home screen, swipe down from the home screen once more and select Settings. Go to Home & Clock > Home Cards.

The cards that can be displayed on the home screen are:

• Messaging
  • Weather
  • Notifications
  • Upcoming Events
  • Reminders
  • Drop In
  • Trending Topics
In this same menu, you can choose whether the cards are shown continuously while only periodically showing you the clock or rotated through once when new information is available.

I found this information and more useful tips here: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-customize-the-home-screen-on-your-echo-show-or-spot/

Hope this helps! If not, let me know and I can do some more investigating.
You found it!! Sending a huge hug to you! Thank you! ??