Opinions on non-natural substrates?

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana, USA
I am working on a remodel for my little lady's indoor enclosure and I was wondering what you folks thought about the potential of non-natural substrates? She is presently living in a large repurposed enclosed snake cabinet with sliding glass doors on the front. I want to put in a 2nd level with a ramp to give her a bit more space as she grows but the sliding doors on the front mean loose substrates up top are going to be a no go.

I have looked into matting, like the kind you would put down in a kids play room or in a utility area in a garage, about a half an inch thick. Something that would still have some give for her joints but would not be messy. I have found some waterproof ones so I wouldn't have to worry too much about bacterial issues/absorption and it's durable so I doubt she will be able to tear it up much.

I was considering replacing all of her current coconut coir and bark substrate with this on both levels to cut down on mess (she does LOVE to make a mess, lol) if it seemed like it would work out. Thoughts? Anything that jumps out to you as a red flag with this plan? I can provide more details if needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My personal opinion, you should make it as natural as possible. If it causes more work for you, sorry, but oh well. I just don't think it's fair to take in these animals and not give them what they should have because it might be dirty or cause too much work. Just my opionion.

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Indiana, USA
My personal opinion, you should make it as natural as possible. If it causes more work for you, sorry, but oh well. I just don't think it's fair to take in these animals and not give them what they should have because it might be dirty or cause too much work. Just my opionion.

I don't want you to get the wrong idea... She is a 9 year old tortoise (in April) and I have had her since she was a hatchling. She has been on a natural substrate her whole life and frankly been spoiled with the amount of care and attention she gets. Your response makes it sound like I am abusing her or something which is honestly not appreciated. I have been raising tortoises for nigh on 20 years.

I am not looking to shirk work or give her a sub-standard living environment because I am cruel or lazy. I am examining options that would meet the needs of the current situation. I cannot put loose substrate on top, it's simply a fact. Every time I would open the door to feed her or soak her or interact in any way (she likes to have her neck scratched) it would spill out everywhere. Just not a sustainable option. My only thought for also replacing the bottom layer substrate is if the matting option has no real flaws (which is why I am consulting you fine professionals) then there would be no reason NOT to.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I wouldn't use, what happens if ingested, holding moisture?

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Indiana, USA
What about sheets of moss. Or something like sod?
I am not sure where around here I could acquire something like that, especially if it would need to be replaced semi-often. I have no experience with those kinds of substrate, I have always used loose. It's an interesting thought though I will certainly look into it! :)

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Indiana, USA
Personally I wouldn't use, what happens if ingested, holding moisture?

As stated it is waterproof and durable, so unlikely to be torn up into ingestable bits :)

But if that does prove to be an issue as things go along I would certainly take it out. On paper that shouldn't be a problem, only testing would tell.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I don't know if this would work I have never bought it but the garden center sells seed tape? I think it's called.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Instead of messing with the substrate, I would put a plexiglass Barrier on the second level so that the substrate doesn't fall out when you open the door. it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TT, you are asking us to speculate and advise in uncharted territory. None of us use anything like that and so we don't have any experience based advice to offer. There are many benefits to having a more "natural" substrate and it is because of those reasons I would not do what you are considering.

I would redesign the enclosure to suit the tortoise's needs better, rather than use something totally dry and unnatural under the tortoise. leigti's suggestion above this post sounds like a good possibility. Could that work?

How about just making a conventional large tortoise table instead of a second level with doors that let the substrate out?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would keep a more natural substrate on the bottom layer, then use indoor/outdoor carpet or whatever artificial substrate suits your fancy on the top layer. You could still have the bottom substrate moistened. I have a feeling the tortoise would spend most of its time down there anyway.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I used reptile carpet once on the advice of the pet store. This was well over 25 years ago now. It was terrible. Indoor outdoor carpet will have the same problems with pee soaking in and smelling, constantly needing to be removed & washed. No depth.

Can you make a lip to hold substrate in when you open the doors?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't want you to get the wrong idea... She is a 9 year old tortoise (in April) and I have had her since she was a hatchling. She has been on a natural substrate her whole life and frankly been spoiled with the amount of care and attention she gets. Your response makes it sound like I am abusing her or something which is honestly not appreciated. I have been raising tortoises for nigh on 20 years.

I am not looking to shirk work or give her a sub-standard living environment because I am cruel or lazy. I am examining options that would meet the needs of the current situation. I cannot put loose substrate on top, it's simply a fact. Every time I would open the door to feed her or soak her or interact in any way (she likes to have her neck scratched) it would spill out everywhere. Just not a sustainable option. My only thought for also replacing the bottom layer substrate is if the matting option has no real flaws (which is why I am consulting you fine professionals) then there would be no reason NOT to.

No, I wasn't reading anything into your post. I only was giving my opinion of the substrate you memotioned, nothing about you. Sorry if you took it wrong. But you did ask:p:D. Now, if you had asked for opinion and suggestions, I would have done both and my suggestions would be basically what everyone else has already suggested:). Btw, I have an enclosure for my Uromastyx that when I open the doors, substrate falls out. I get it, it's a pain, but it's what best for him.