Opinions on Outdoor Enclosure?

xKin

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Recently, I decided I'd make my redfoot tortoise a nice outdoor enclosure for him to live in. The roof and sides of the enclosure are secured, and I've provided plants he could eat if he's hungry and doesn't feel like eating off the plate, as well as different grounds to move on and a few rocks to climb. I was hoping to get an opinion on my enclosure? It's still a work in progress, as the middle of the enclosure has been planned to contain grass and we're currently moving his water/food plate and hide in the outdoor enclosure as well.

The humidity and temperature where I live are actually perfect for my redfoot tortoise, so I thought I'd move him to a more suitable area outside than keep him indoors with fake lighting and such.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks great, but I'd also like to see some sort of little pond that he can climb into and out of. A paint tray might work.

Rue

Canada
That does look good. I was wondering about something similar (modified dog enclosure).

xKin

Miami, Florida
That looks great, but I'd also like to see some sort of little pond that he can climb into and out of. A paint tray might work.

Just got one of those flat plant trays, and put it near the rocks it's deep enough to soak in and he could also drink water out of :) thank you for the advice and I'm glad you like it

xKin

Miami, Florida
That does look good. I was wondering about something similar (modified dog enclosure).

The dog cages are actually really great to use. They're sturdy and I actually had left over wire to make the roof. The dog cage I bought was 6ft wide by 10ft long and 6ft in height. The width and height was perfect, but we cut the length down to 6ft :) they're incredibly easy to set up too haha. We finished the entire enclosure within a day.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
That's what I was hoping to hear!

We have an acreage, and I'm wary of having Goosefoot outside in an open enclosure. We have the odd raccoon, but we have lots of skunks (especially the last few years), fox, coyotes, random dogs (not to mention I wouldn't necessarily trust my own), cats, etc. I am hoping to build something safe we can have her in year-round during the summer months (few as those might be up here in the Great White North).

No rush, she's too little this year, and probably even next year, but if I know what I'm looking for and doing I can start looking for sales, deals, etc.

xKin

Miami, Florida
That's what I was hoping to hear!

We have an acreage, and I'm wary of having Goosefoot outside in an open enclosure. We have the odd raccoon, but we have lots of skunks (especially the last few years), fox, coyotes, random dogs (not to mention I wouldn't necessarily trust my own), cats, etc. I am hoping to build something safe we can have her in year-round during the summer months (few as those might be up here in the Great White North).

No rush, she's too little this year, and probably even next year, but if I know what I'm looking for and doing I can start looking for sales, deals, etc.

In my neighbor hood, there are actually plenty of wild cats and dogs, as well as three foxes that somehow got there. My tortoise is barely bigger than the palm of my hand, but that's how much I trust this enclosure lol I'm glad I was able to higher your opinion on whether or not to get the dog cages :)

Reactions: Rue

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Great idea! I thought about using one of these dog kennels too. I found one in someone's front yard they were giving away. So I went and rented a truck but when I came back someone else had already took it!