Redfoot outdoors

subiemoosie

Location (City and/or State)
College Station, Texas
Howdy,
I am getting a redfoot baby in a month or so and am wanting to keep him/her in an outdoor enclosure. I live in Texas, close to Houston so it is hot and humid here. My ultimate goal is to build an enclosure the tortoise that is large that has shelter for shade, as well as a lid that can cover at night. My questions are- what do you guys think about keeping a redfoot outdoors here in those conditions, and second-what about a hatchling specifically?
Thanks!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I live in Houston, and the Temperature and Humidity isn’t similar to a Redfoots Conditions. It’s hot yes, but it isn’t Humid.
Either Way you should not House a baby Tortoise Outside. You’ll need something that holds Humidity like a Plastic Tote. I’ll link the Care for Red foots.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I am in college station. I just looked up the average humidity and it says 75%.
I’m In Houston, The Humidity is 80-90 it doesn’t mean it will stay like that 24/7 the temperature also varies. There’s A lot of Factors in why not Keep a Young Tortoise outside.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Howdy,
I am getting a redfoot baby in a month or so and am wanting to keep him/her in an outdoor enclosure. I live in Texas, close to Houston so it is hot and humid here. My ultimate goal is to build an enclosure the tortoise that is large that has shelter for shade, as well as a lid that can cover at night. My questions are- what do you guys think about keeping a redfoot outdoors here in those conditions, and second-what about a hatchling specifically?
Thanks!
I'd recommend building a closed chamber and housing the tortoise inside till it reaches at least 4-5". The proper conditions in the first year or two are crucial for health and good growth. After the tortoise is bigger then I'd move outside.