Considering getting a redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple

5 Year Member
Hi, I currently have a small Sulcata tortoise, but I am now considering getting a redfoot tortoise.
I understand that as babies it is extremely important that they live in an enclosure with a lot of moisture, so if i get one i plan to start it off inside in an enclosure that allows me to easily control humidity, but i live in Miami so the temperatures here are usually pretty warm year round, therefore, I wanted to know how long would it be before i can safely house my redfoot outdoors where humidity will most likely fluctuate more, and probably be slightly less than indoors?
I still plan to keep a humid, warm shelter for him to hide in when he wishes to do so.
Thanks.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Hi Simple;
I'm in Palm Beach & I have several Redfoots of various sizes that stay out side year round.
If you keep a small tortoise out side, Make a pen that is suitable for its size.
As for humidity, That's easy!
What I do for mine is;
A 1" to 6" Redfoot.
Pen size = 4' x 4' x 2' with a wire mesh top.
Inside: Dirt 6" deep to avoid flooding.
Cypress mulch 4" to 6" deep.
Hide: Plastic nursery pots cut in 1/2.
Dig out 1/2 of the depth of your Cypress, Place 1/2 pot into the depression.
IMPORTANT!!!
Cover the 1/2 pot with at least 1" of Cypress & leave as small an entry hole as possible.
These 2 things will maintain the humidity inside the hide. If you think the hide is getting dry, Just run the hose next to the hide for a few min.
After setting up this part, A water pan, feeding station & what ever decorations / furniture are appropriate may be added.
Last but not least!
Add your TORTOISE!

Best of luck!
Tom McLellan

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I've been advocating "mist-them-til-they-drip" for over 5 years.. it works...

NERD

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have been keeping mine in a planted vivarium since he was a month old. I followed Turtletary.com care sheets for two years. Every time Pio comes out to eat he gets misted. I also found that it wasn't too good to keep him on very wet substrate, because he got a touch of shell fungus. So now I just mist the plants and Pio every day. So far he is very smooth.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
My apologies it would seem that I missed your question completely.

As to how long before you can move a hatchling Redfoot to an outside enclosure where you live (Miami).
Its truly up to you.
My opinion is that as long as you can provide a suitable enclosure, You could place a hatchling out side as soon as you receive it. Although I would advise against it.
My advice would be to keep it inside for a few months just to make sure it is doing well.
IE - Eating well & growing correctly & is healthy.
When you are certain of this, Then you should have very few problems.
Myself, I would wait 2 or 3 months. By then the hatchling Redfoot should be of suitable size 2" to 3". Until then follow Terry's care sheet: http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

As I stated in my earlier post, There should be a wire mesh cover!
Raccoons, Opossum, Mice, Rats, Fire ants, Birds, Cats, Dogs & Marine Toads are your main concern. Make sure that there is no way for any of these to enter the pen.
Set the pen up as I stated in my other post & you should do well. I would also advise keeping an indoor set-up also just incase.
Check the enclosure photo's on the forum for ideas as to planting.

If you have more questions & you will, ASK!

Best of luck.
Tom McLellan

simple

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone.
From what ive read i think ill go with Toms advice, and keep it inside for a few months before taking it outside. It's enclosure will be right next to my baby sulcata's (Hector) outdoor enclosure. It is in the pool and patio area behind my house and completely screened in so no bugs or animals will be getting to him. Also i already have an indoor enclosure set up for my sulcata, so i will do the same for the red foot.
Can't wait to get my own little red foot! :)

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Warning Warning.......... once you let a redfoot into your heart it's quite contagious lol.

They are like that commercial for potato chips, bet you can't just have one.

But seriously they are great and have such wonderful personalities.

Edited for spelling

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Wish someone would've gave me that warning....LOL....:):):)!!!!!!!!!You will love Redfoots!! They are so sweet and beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.