New - considering a redfoot!

Jaclynn0713

Hello! My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting a tortoise since we met nearly 3 years ago (I joked that I wanted a land turtle as a guard dog). I *adore* tortoises and we have an almost 2 year old that is in love with turtles. Today kind of sold it for us today - we took her to a friend's house that has a large spur thigh and a young redfoot. Well watching my daughter laugh and giggle and feed them was just enough to make my heart explode. Anyway, we live in Florida and I've read that a Redfoot is very suitable for our climate. We are also open to a Hermann and Russian as well, but I like the fact that we could have an outdoor enclosure with the Redfoot and the climate would match well.

We live in an apartment but have a small patio space where we are trying to figure out the best set up for the tortoise enclosure. Our complex is picky about the appearance of our patio so whatever solution we find needs to be visually appealing and not "DIY" looking.

Now to some questions:

1. I've read that Redfoots enjoy company. Can I just get one, or is two a better set up? I would prefer to start with one but I understand if they do better in groups.

2. Any input on using something like this "terrarium coffee table" (picture attached)?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/43977407?...0572832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=127089407312&veh=sem

We also found this wicker plant box that I saw someone set up as a tortoise table. Opinions?

3. If anyone knows of a reputable breeder, online or located in South FL that sells redfoots or cherryheads, links and contact information would be appreciated. We are planning on gifting the tortoise for my daughter's 2nd birthday at the end of April (though it is more of my pet than hers, but I know it will make her happy).

I would ideally like to start working on making an appropriate enclosure soon so that we have plenty of time to make any adjustments before we bring the tortoise home. Any other input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 10.06.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 10.07.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 10.08.17 PM.png

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
1. Tortoises are mostly solitary to semi-solitary. Redfoots do well in herds and many keepers report that theirs are more active, eat better, etc. in groups but there does not seem to be any real problem keeping them by themselves. One interesting thing abut Redfoots is that they often follow scent trails that other Redfoots put down, and in the wild are often found in groups in hides even when other hides are available.

2. The catch with tortoises is that they need a lot of floor space. The European recommendation is about 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths. Since these torts can hit 6-8" in a few years, and over 12" as adults, that is a LOT of space. So, a smallish tank like that would be fine for a while, but as they get bigger you'll need more space. Also, in Florida, you can keep them outside really, really nicely! A secondary issue is that a well-planted habitat is great, but as they get bigger, it gets harder to keep the plants safe and habitat nice.

3. Look for Carl May on the site. He has a lot of gorgeous hatchlings. He does not post as often as he used to, but when he does it is worth reading.

Jaclynn0713

Thank you for the input! Very appreciated.

If we have it our way, we will have a larger yard either next year or shortly after. Thank you for quantifying the space requirements. I'll have to sticky that in my notes.

Just curious, can reds and yellows be housed together? Or are they considered separate types and shouldn't be mixed. How do the housing requirements change when adding another tort? Do you double the space?

I will look him up, thank you!

These are pics from today of my daughter and the torts.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 12

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Hi and welcome.
Red-footed tortoises in general do very well in Florida...especially south Florida. But IMO they belong outside unless they are very small juveniles or hatchlings. So an enclosed patio, or small yard that is escape proof is ideal.
Whatever your plans are let me make one suggestion- and this will make your future tortoise keeping experience much better. And fun.
OK, ready?
Do not start with a hatchling... or even a yearling.
Try and locate a well established tortoise that is at least half grown or larger. An adult that has been captive raised or is a long term import is better for a first time keeper.
Hatchlings are cute as pie and are often gorgeous too. No doubt. But they can be tricky to raise properly unless you've had lots of experience.
There are those on this forum and elsewhere (Allegra, N2TORTS, TortoiseNERD, Tom, TerryO, and others etc.) who can raise hatchlings up to be nice adults. But they also have years of experience AND have adult tortoises to maintain (= distract them) while their stinkin' little babies grow out.

You mentioned having a child and that's great. How cool it is to be parents that will encourage their young ones with animals!
Again though, a larger, more robust tortoise will be much more satisfying and interesting to a little kid who wants to see their pet move around and do their thing. A neonate tortoise is going to spend a lot of time doing a lot of nothing. At least in a child's eye.

Do some research. Ask questions. Tortoise keeping is awesome!

Jaclynn0713

We are very open to getting a tortoise that isn't a hatchling! How old is a tortoise that you would consider "well established"?

Our goal is to keep them on our patio in some type of enclosure and then move to a yard once we move out of the apartment :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
A note on having more than one redfoot, one solitary tortoise is fine and wont long for the company of others. If you feel that your tortoise has to have a buddy then realize that you will likely need a group of 3 or more and if they don't thrive together you will have to have space to separate them. Not to mention if you get your group from different sources you wont be able to introduce them right away because they will need to be quarantined for at least 6 months. I'm sure @ZEROPILOT has a thing or two to say about that.

Jaclynn0713

As long as he/she will be fine alone, I would prefer just one! I don't want to get myself in deeper than I can handle lol

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Unfortunately they are like potato chips, it's hard to have just one! Just wait, when it comes to choosing houses you'll be looking for one with the best yard for tortoise runs. (Says the crazy tortoise lady who bought a house based on perfect tortoise and people space)

Reactions: Rue

JONeill

Hi! I also live in South Florida and have two little guys (about a 1 1/2 years) that stay in an enclosure outside. The pen is about 2 1/2 by 5 feet. They like a lot of space. I take them inside when it gets to cold. The climate is great here though.
Good luck!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you mentioned you live in an apartment I'm assuming complex? is the management ok with an outside animal?