Opinions on young rf?

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Big Pine Key, Florida
Finally found a local redfoot breeder and am planning on purchasing one of his babies, can I have some opinions on the tortoise to make sure everything appears to be okay?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1387557453.851526.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387557463.669096.jpg

The one on the top of the photo is the one I'd like to buy (I'm a sucker for the smaller ones).

Just trying to make sure I'm not making a mistake!

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
It looks to me like those tortoises are being kept on pellets which really dry things out a ton. The water dish is too tall and is a drowning hazard. As a red foot is a high humidity/mid-high temp species, I'm not impressed with the set up these guys are being raised in. That being said, the torts look fine. But being raised dry like that, you just can't tell what's going on inside. I don't mean to be a downer but it is possible that these torts could have liver failure that is inherent in torts that have been raised dry.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
abclements said:
It looks to me like those tortoises are being kept on pellets which really dry things out a ton. The water dish is too tall and is a drowning hazard. As a red foot is a high humidity/mid-high temp species, I'm not impressed with the set up these guys are being raised in. That being said, the torts look fine. But being raised dry like that, you just can't tell what's going on inside. I don't mean to be a downer but it is possible that these torts could have liver failure that is inherent in torts that have been raised dry.

I agree 100%. What many call "hatchling failure syndrome" is most likely the after affect of being raised in "beef jerky" conditions....meaning long time chronic dehydration, which eventually leads to liver/kidney failure. I would respectfully suggest you look elsewhere. There are several very good RF breeders here that raise their hatchlings in ideal tropical conditions, and have several successful generations of RFs.

Redfoots are a more difficult species because to do require very hot and humid conditions. Mine are in a closed chamber, with Blacklight, CHE, and a reptifogger running 24/7 to produce humidity of 75-85%. Even with this high humidity, they still love to wallow for hours in their soak tub.

I do not at all mean to disrespect the breeder you are considering, but I personally would never buy a baby from those conditions. Possibly a ticking time bomb.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I wonder how it is their shells look so smooth in such seemingly dry conditions?!
They are not new hatchlings so you would think they'd be pyramiding by now. At least slightly.
Are the babies kept un this set up all the time? How old are they?
I would want to see the parents and the breeders set up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love the little star on top of his head. I wouldn't be afraid to buy him. I'd warm him up, but introduce a moist environment slowly. Don't just take him out of the desert and plunk him down into the rain forest. I'd introduce a humid environment over about a two-week's time period.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Pyramiding isn't just caused by humidity. In the wild, red foots' habitat is actually not that moist and can drop very low in % of humidity in the main range on occasions, and more often for the southern localities.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Maybe the breeder actually obtained them from someone else.
The youngster looks good.
I would get him and improve his living conditions 100%

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yvonne G said:
I love the little star on top of his head. I wouldn't be afraid to buy him. I'd warm him up, but introduce a moist environment slowly. Don't just take him out of the desert and plunk him down into the rain forest. I'd introduce a humid environment over about a two-week's time period.

WELL SAID!!

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Big Pine Key, Florida
Thanks everyone! From what I've been told they have only been on this temporary set up for a few days as their regular enclosure is refurbished. I agree that it's not a wise choice of substrate but I'm not too concerned because they look smooth and act healthy. :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Yvonne G said:

I agree, I don't see anything wrong with the tortoises. Questions to ask yourself when your purchasing are:

Do the eyes look clear? (yes, good!)
Are there any bubles coming out of their nares? (no, good!)
Is/are the tortoise(s) alert and active? - note, hatchlings can be a bit shy.
Do you hear any rasping noises as they breathe? (if they tuck into their shell quickly they are going to hiss as the air is expelled forcefully from their lungs, I'm talking about gurgling, raspy noises when they aren't tucking into their shells).

I will say I don't agree with this persons setup as others have indicated, it looks incredibly dry. It is something to ponder but from the images, the torts don't look unhealthy (yet...). I wouldn't be too afraid to up their humidity over a two day period. I'm curious why others think this should be so cautionary? You're taking a tortoise from dry, poor conditions and placing it in more natural environments. Maybe I'm missing something?