Degree of pyramiding in this redfoot

fit4him

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
I'm strongly considering purchasing this redfoot from a local breeder. It is about 5 inches SCL. Would really be interested in opinions on the degree of pyramiding in this particular redfoot. Also, is some pryamiding considered "normal" in redfoots as opposed to a completely smooth shell with no "bumpy" scutes. FYI understand all the factors that could lead to pyramiding, just wanted to get thoughts on this particular tort as to the severity.

thanks for any info

Allen

Attachments

• redfoot1.jpg
    redfoot1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 124
  • redfoot2.jpg
    redfoot2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 108
  • redfoot3.jpg
    redfoot3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 106

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm strongly considering purchasing this redfoot from a local breeder. It is about 5 inches SCL. Would really be interested in opinions on the degree of pyramiding in this particular redfoot. Also, is some pryamiding considered "normal" in redfoots as opposed to a completely smooth shell with no "bumpy" scutes. FYI understand all the factors that could lead to pyramiding, just wanted to get thoughts on this particular tort as to the severity.

thanks for any info

Allen
Yeah there is pyramiding there. It wouldn't bother me, s/he is still small and its not bad. Your challenge is to get new growth to be smoother. May be some scope for a good price due to minor pyramiding.
The question is. Is s/he healthy in other ways?
Weight, bright eyed, appetite, strong footed, and stands tall.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I have a redfoot with a shell like that. She's been raised in the same enclosure and treated the same as my other three who've all grown pretty smooth. As far as I can tell, she's perfectly healthy despite the bumps. In my case, the pyramiding happened even in (maybe) good enough conditions. I think Punch has just always been a glutton.

I have no idea how that redfoot was raised, but like what Anyfoot said, if the tort is energetic enough, good gait, clear eyes/nares then I say go for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very minor. If all else is good, then I would consider this cosmetic only and it will not have any effect on the health or reproductive potential of the tortoise.

And the color and markings on this one are quite exceptional and nice, in my opinion.

fit4him

5 Year Member
SC
Thanks everyone!! That definitely helps in making my decision. One more question...based on three original photos and this plastron view any chance of this being a Brazilian cherry head ?

image.jpeg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks everyone!! That definitely helps in making my decision. One more question...based on three original photos and this plastron view any chance of this being a Brazilian cherry head ?

View attachment 159038
It looks northern to me, not a cherryhead.
l don't know enough about the reds of Paraguay and Bolivia yet. All I know is they get big,dark plastrons and no hour glass on males. I'm not sure at what size these develop dark plastrons. @cdmay is the master of localities.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Most RFs I've seen in captivity (not the ones on here, you guys really know what you're doing :D) are easily twice as pyramided as that. I'd say mine's scutes were as high as 2 1/2 of yours stacked on top of each other at the time of adoption, and his new growth is smooth. It's a challenge but I think this RF would do very well.