redfoot and basking light OR radiant heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Have a question about redfoot tortoises. I am going to be building a tortoise table that is 6 foot by 32" wide for a redfoot (to adulthood) Is this table big enough for a female redfoot? The tortoise will likely be outside hopefully at least 3 months to 4 out of the year ( I don't have the tortoise yet, may be a few months). Also, I plan on getting a warm mist humidifier for this room.(that the tortoise will be in) What should I set it to? Should the output be directly into the room or directly into the open top tank (wooden table with waterproof bottom maybe sides too)? Should I set up a automatic misting device in addition?

NOW to the main question.. do red foot tortoises require a ambient 80-85 degree temp, that is moist, OR a ambient 80-85 degree temp WITH a heat basking lamp? I would like to avoid the basking lamp and just have ambient heating with heating pads attatched to the back or top of the table in some fashion if possible if this is a better approach.With proper lights for UVB. I may be buying a very expensive "baby" redfoot you could say and don't want to mess it up as far as pyramiding and health is concerned.

thanks, :)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I will share how I have my room set up. I use an oil filled radiator with a digital thermostat. It keeps the room a steady 83-86 degrees. I have 2 vaporizors running 24-7,which keeps the humidity in the 60-70% range. If you would like to keep the room cooler,a ceramic heat heat emitter can be positioned over the humid hide. They don't need a basking light. I wouldn't recommend putting the vaporizor output directly into the table.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Indiana
So they don't need a basking light because...

A) They don't need the direct heat or

B) They don't need the UVB.

I am getting soo confused about UVB and heat for redfoots in general. I don't really know how I am going to set up this eventual tank anymore.... :0 I am at the very least going to have a humidifier in the room.. at least I know that. Do I need the ^&*& UVB or not.... :) Normal spiral bulbs wont "burn" the tortoise or cause any harm in any way will they? What about those 2.0, 5.0 etc spiral UVB bulbs they sell these days..... I don't want the light to cause more harm than good.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
XxDarkEuphoriaxX said:
So they don't need a basking light because...

A) They don't need the direct heat or

B) They don't need the UVB.

I am getting soo confused about UVB and heat for redfoots in general. I don't really know how I am going to set up this eventual tank anymore.... :0 I am at the very least going to have a humidifier in the room.. at least I know that. Do I need the ^&*& UVB or not.... :) Normal spiral bulbs wont "burn" the tortoise or cause any harm in any way will they? What about those 2.0, 5.0 etc spiral UVB bulbs they sell these days..... I don't want the light to cause more harm than good.
There are differing opinions on whether or not redfoots are a basking tortoise. If the tempratures are favorable(mid 80's),I can see no reason for basking.They do need the d3 vitamin that uvb's provide.I provide d3 in the form of low fat dry cat food,moistened and given once a week when they are indoors. I see some pretty bad opinions on the spiral type bulbs on here. I would steer clear of them. I keep my redfoots according to the caresheets on turtletary.com and have had good results. Terry spells everything out in a pretty straightforward manner. Take a deep breath and relax. It's not complicated once you learn the basic things they require. There are different methods of keeping them than the one I use,and others have good results with them. Just read over Terry's care sheets and keep it simple.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Indiana
I hear the mercury vapor bulbs are the best for uvb. Is that so? But they are so expensive! Could I use the "old" style standard light bulbs to provide the main amount of light, and then have one nice mercury vapor uvb to provide light plus some UVB rays?
Thanks. Also I am thinking about using heating pads on the side of the tank or top to provide radiant heat in some way.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
XxDarkEuphoriaxX said:
Have a question about redfoot tortoises. I am going to be building a tortoise table that is 6 foot by 32" wide for a redfoot (to adulthood) Is this table big enough for a female redfoot? The tortoise will likely be outside hopefully at least 3 months to 4 out of the year ( I don't have the tortoise yet, may be a few months). Also, I plan on getting a warm mist humidifier for this room.(that the tortoise will be in) What should I set it to? Should the output be directly into the room or directly into the open top tank (wooden table with waterproof bottom maybe sides too)? Should I set up a automatic misting device in addition?

NOW to the main question.. do red foot tortoises require a ambient 80-85 degree temp, that is moist, OR a ambient 80-85 degree temp WITH a heat basking lamp? I would like to avoid the basking lamp and just have ambient heating with heating pads attatched to the back or top of the table in some fashion if possible if this is a better approach.With proper lights for UVB. I may be buying a very expensive "baby" redfoot you could say and don't want to mess it up as far as pyramiding and health is concerned.

thanks, :)

1. Habitat size. The general guideline used in Europe is 8 shell lengths by 4, and double it for a second animal. Red-foots are not as sensitive to crowding as others are, so use your judgement. I had 5 subadults in a 9x4 and it seemed OK most of the time.

2. Humidity. As a rule, your room has to be pretty humid to make things work. I strongly recommend a tent or something over the habitat to help retain heat and humidity unless your room is really cheap/easy to heat and humidify.

3. Basic heat. Similar to the above. I prefer offering a wider range, though. In that big of a space, I would run 75 to 90F.

4. Basking. They bask for warmth and UV- I don't know if they can separate the two. One good hot spot with UVB is adequate and it only needs to be on for about 8 hours a day or so.

5. I don't think I would start a baby in a table- I would recommend a tub or aquarium.

6. There are a lot of factors that are important with smooth, healthy babies. Humidity, temp, diet, light, and more.

You can try the Tortoise Library links below for more ideas. There is a care sheet that may be helpful, and a page of links to other sites that may help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.