erinbug

Location (City and/or State)
Tomball
Hello! I'm new here and also have a post about my enclosure in the Introductions thread but had a question about RF shell pyramiding.

I'm buying my juvenile redfoot today from Petco - the guy there didn't seem to know much but said it was a couple years old. He's still small, maybe 6 inches long. His shell is pretty bumpy which I know is a sign of an improper diet (and/or lighting?), which isn't surprising considering it's Petco.

However, I was wondering - is pyramiding reversible? Since he's still growing, will his shell even out if I feed him properly? Just curious; I'm rescuing him regardless. I can post pictures later tonight when he's mine!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Pictures would be helpful, because pyramiding can be, just that, a bumpy shell, or it could be part of meabolic bone disease which is much more serious.

Regardless, pyramiding is not reversible. The bumps that are there now, will always be there. Over time, new growth can be smooth and normal, and the pyramiding can appear less obvious as a result of it being smaller relative to the healthy growth, but the damage can not be undone.

More knowledgeable members, and the redfoot keepers on here will be able to give you more specific advice.

Welcome!

erinbug

Tomball
Pictures would be helpful, because pyramiding can be, just that, a bumpy shell, or it could be part of meabolic bone disease which is much more serious.

Regardless, pyramiding is not reversible. The bumps that are there now, will always be there. Over time, new growth can be smooth and normal, and the pyramiding can appear less obvious as a result of it being smaller relative to the healthy growth, but the damage can not be undone.

More knowledgeable members, and the redfoot keepers on here will be able to give you more specific advice.

Welcome!

Thank you! This is a picture of him in his tank at petco, I don’t know if you can see it very well.
58118576574__EAC7BF18-DE02-4154-B780-9E5161DC6FE4.jpg

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Oh, I was expecting something much more severe! That pyramiding is not so terrible, all things considered. New growth can be much more even. If the prominent bump is in the middle part of the shell, it tends to be worse there due to hot lights drying out the shell worse in the highest place.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Pyramiding is the result of dry conditions.

erinbug

Tomball
Oh, I was expecting something much more severe! That pyramiding is not so terrible, all things considered. New growth can be much more even. If the prominent bump is in the middle part of the shell, it tends to be worse there due to hot lights drying out the shell worse in the highest place.

Ah yay this is good news! The bump is on the highest point, yes.

drew54

Indiana
Soak everyday, use proper lighting, temps, and humidity and the new growth should come in even. My tort has some slight pyramiding on the front vertebral scutes because of type of bulb I use for the hot side, but I keep the humidity high and soak everyday. Her new growth is starting to even it again. When I got her she was a hatchling with pyramiding which I corrected and now I'm doing it again. [emoji30]no worries though it's not bad.

erinbug

Tomball
That’s looks a nice tort. Not bad pyramiding at all. I’d buy it. The facial colouring is gorgeous.

I thought so too, both have mango coloring on their face and red on the limbs, so bright!