opinions wanted

thatguy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I've been interested in getting a pancake for a little while now. They are extremely interesting to me. I've read as much as I can find on the internet but nothing compares to the opinions and insight of people who own, raise and breed them. My current herd consists of two sulcata, 3 redfoot, a big female Yellowfoot and 3 hermans. My question is would you recommend a pancake tortoise yes or no and why. And if you have any information that you would like to share I would love to hear it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are wanting Pancakes and Stars. Maybe on both threads you could show pics or explain what you have for set ups for the torts you have now. The room you have to offer those you own now and those you are looking to get. This may give insight on which would fit better into what you have to off them as far as space

thatguy

10 Year Member!
Georgia
I'm trying to decide between the two. I'm not looking to actually purchase the animals until i have a firm grasp on there requirements. Only after that will i start construction on enclosures and getting everything ready. I have 2 spare rooms one humid one dry as far as indoors and i have a 10 by 12 foot space in my yard set aside for which ever i decide. Indoors each room and each table has UVB and UVA lights and either basking bulbs or ceramic heat emitters. I'll end up making the enclosure specific to whichever species I decide upon but I think that comes without saying. As for pictures whenever I get around to getting a new phone Id love to show my guys off. lol :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think you can get whatever you want . As long as you're thinking long term. I haven't had any of the species you were interested in. But I do know how big and how much space tortoises need . So I can only add . Think of long term for your tortoises you have . If your yard or house and budget is big enough do it .

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've read as much as I can find on the internet but nothing compares to the opinions and insight of people who own, raise and breed them.
Currently there is no complete information in regard to pancake tortoises. Stars? Nope not so much out there either. You've shown an interest in buying some very delicate tortoises here. Here abouts my area on Craigslist I've seen each specie of tortoise in your current tortoise community, but I must say, honestly I've never seen a pancake or a star tortoise. Each of these two tortoises require completely different environments to survive and thrive
I've had I think 5-6 pancakes. I really enjoyed them. Very delicate and although plenty come to the USofA as adults, you should by all means purchase a new hatchling from one of our reputable breeders here on the forum. I had bad experiences with mine. They were wild caught, and even though I knew the seller, and when I fully stressed is worming practices, 3 out of 6 died here before being adopted out to another tortoise keeper. She couldn't things going well either and 1 died on her. She has since given the last one, (a female) to an active breeder here on the forum.
I say personally no for you to get either one, until you have the care knowledge of say the keeper of a middle age healthy sulcata. Just my thought.

thatguy

10 Year Member!
Georgia
When I was searching for information I could tell if there wasn't a lot out there and that is why I decided to post on here. I would never knowingly buy a wc animal an animal that's born in the wild should stay in the wild. That is part of my passion and reason for wanting to keep raise and breed tortoises. I've been studying and keeping tortoises and turtles since I can remember. Ive had to sell off a few times unfortunately due to family issues and now that i have a great job and don't have to worry about them anymore i want to get serious. I have a goal. I just need the experience with a variety of species. I've taken in and rehomed a few sulcatas the oldest of which was 80 or so i was told. What would you recommend i do or keep first to prepare me for each species?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have the time, money and space, get what you want and can afford. I personally have about 15 different species of turtles and tortoises...19 if you count the turtles in the pond.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sulcatas were first imported into the U.S. in the '60s, so it would be very rare to know of a U.S. sulcata any older than about 60 years.

Ed mitch

I don't have pancakes however currently have 3 hermann tortoises and 2 Indian stars, I really find them interesting and very personal.