I'm considering getting a Pancake tortoise

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
I am also interested in pancake tortoises. I have researched them pretty extensively, and I believe I can provide a healthy, loving home for them.

Can I get some opinions from people that have them with regards to their personality, effort of keeping, etc? I enjoy taking care of tortoises / reptiles and I do not mind hard work at all, I would just like some first-hand feedback about them.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Krissy, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't keep pancake tortoises, so can't offer you any opinions other than I think their shells are just beautiful. I know a couple members who have them - @Cowboy_Ken and @Will . I'm sure there are others, but I can't think who right now.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Krissy, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't keep pancake tortoises, so can't offer you any opinions other than I think their shells are just beautiful. I know a couple members who have them - @Cowboy_Ken and @Will . I'm sure there are others, but I can't think who right now.
@african cake queen is another pancake keeper with a really good success record on eggs.

They don't care if your home is loving (they live in areas of the world with so many predators that will eat them, they think a hostile living space is "normal"), but healthy is good. Similar to Russians they seem to prefer broadleaf greens over grass, so all the shrub and tree leaves spoken about here are all good. Blossoms, and smaller weedy thing like dandelion and plantain are great too. They are poop pellet eaters as well. So Mazuri LS and or ZooMed grassland mixed into greens will be accepted.

Ambient temps in the mid 70F with a warm place works well. These are the species that directed me to make heat rocks by places to tiles together, one on top of the other with a nursery seed starter heat mat in between. I set it across two bricks so they can be under it or out on top. Other no heated hide places are required, they will choose the place they like best. Always have water in a shallow dish, they will poop in it daily.

One male and as many females as you like. I consider a 4' x 4' space a good size for a pair, each additional tortoise add 2' square more. Substrate can be tiles with the glue side up, and some coarse sand. I also add a little orchid bark to the coarse sand so hold moisture from in-frequent application of sprayed water.

These are hide away tortoises for the most part with an occasional individual that will not worry about your presence. They are extremely excellent climbers.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Hi I also keep cakes. I find them entertaining. The hatchings and young are more active.I only have a pair. They produce alot of babies for cakes. If you need help or have questions , here is a great place to start. The people here are very nice. Good luck.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I also just started to do more extensive research into pancakes. They are very interesting! I don't know how I managed to never hear about this species until I joined the forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Krissy
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481047035.581283.jpg
I've had my pancakes for 2 years and she layed her first egg this morning !
Like Russians they will dig out of their enclosure , climb over the top of it . Mine have done booth ! But I wish you luck !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have limited experience with this species, but i'll share what I know:
1. Most are shy, but some are not.
2. They do well if raised with the humid methods that work so well with other tropical species and they will pyramid if you raise them in the typical dry style.
3. They can climb as well as some lizards, so they do best in closed chambers with covered tops. They need tight fitting lids outdoors too.
4. Captive bred ones are hardy, adaptable and easy keepers. WC ones often die within a year or two for a variety of reasons.

I bought a group of five CB babies as a housewarming gift for my best friend a few years ago. They are now producing adults and he had babies for sale and eggs incubating when I talked to him last. This species makes gorgeous babies. Our African Cake Queen and @cyan have posted some amazing pictures for us all to marvel at. If I had more time, I would start a group of these. I really like them.

Brehdy

5 Year Member
They are an awesome and unique species. A setup with plenty of places to climb and hide are preferable in my opinion, as you will get to see the exact behaviour that makes them so cool.

Prior to getting mine, I had heard a lot about them being shy and often running for cover. However, in the few months i've had my CB babies, they've become relatively friendly. I have my enclosure's lights on a timer, so each morning when they turn on, the tortoises will head to the feeding area, waiting for me to bring them their daily grub. They also associate me with food now, and don't run away when they notice i'm near.

Between their unique characteristics and small size and great shell patterns, i'd recommend them to anyone.

I will also vouch for the animals produced by Tom's friend (referenced above). Great guy that produces flawless tortoises.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
They have a group at the Detroit Zoo, and I always like stopping to look at them. They stack up in some interesting fashions and are good for a laugh.

A while ago, the local reptile rescue had one surrendered with a complete setup, but I was too late to claim it. Someone beat me to it!

If I could start my tort-keeping over, I would definitely consider pancakes as species of choice!