Opo's burrow

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Now that it is warming up, Opo and I are having a disagreement about letting him sleep in his burrow. It gets into the low 60's at night. I had it blocked off all winter. The way I had it blocked off. Opo finally figured out how to get in. I had to trick him last night to get him out. Sooner or later he will figure out my tricks. He is around 60lbs and I was wondering if it's still a little early. To allow him to sleep in the burrow at night?20220316_174116.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Now that it is warming up, Opo and I are having a disagreement about letting him sleep in his burrow. It gets into the low 60's at night. I had it blocked off all winter. The way I had it blocked off. Opo finally figured out how to get in. I had to trick him last night to get him out. Sooner or later he will figure out my tricks. He is around 60lbs and I was wondering if it's still a little early. To allow him to sleep in the burrow at night?View attachment 341942
Ops looks like a fellow who very much knows his own mind,so you are going to have trouble - but he looks great !

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ops looks like a fellow who very much knows his own mind,so you are going to have trouble - but he looks great !
Thanks, I tricked him again but I think he has caught on. I have it blocked off again and fortified better. I think I will keep it blocked and hopefully after a few days. He will forget about it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey Ray….it looks too cold for Mr Opo to stay in the burrow all night long. How far in/down does the burrow go?
It's about 3' down and 5' in. I will keep it blocked off for a few more weeks.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
That's forsure, Opo is lazer focused on this burrow.
Somewhere you've failed your parental responsibilities. Perhaps explain to him how you're going to have to wash him down in soap & cold water every morning before he gets his breakfast.... lol. Relentless...they're just relentless...

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well Opo beat my blockade again. I think I have it solved now. This morning Opo made a few feeble attempts and gave up.
Here is my question.
He is a good 10' in now and going to the right. Should I open it up for him when the night temps go up? Or fill it back in? I am worried about a cave in and with this sandy soil and the heavy rains we get. I am afraid of a cave in. I am not capable of digging him out. I also am always checking if he is ok,plus with Opo going to the right. I won't be able to see him.
20220319_210439.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Dang...
And I thought I had a hard time getting my Hermann's out of her hide 🤣
Do you worry about cave in's?
When it is dry here the soil is hard to dig,but once it rains. It is like digging at the beach. Once the soil gets saturated with water with the daily summer thunderstorms. I am afraid of a cave in.