Opossum found near my enclosure

texastort17

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
TLDR; found a small opossum outside, brought my fully grown Russian tort inside (probably out of paranoia, I know), and want to know what level threat I’m dealing with.

Hello all. I’ve just found our first opossum outside this morning. I used a hose to scare it off twice, but it kept coming back to this one spot in the shade. I’m guessing it’s because it’s 107 here today and needed a spot, but I did bring in my Russian just in case.

I called the nearest wildlife rescue because I do not want to harm this little guy at all. He’s barely bigger than a dollar bill and the rescue owner said he was probably a juvenile. Although, I don’t want to take their word for saying it won’t mess with my tort. We have heavy lids on our enclosure that are fitted with heavy duty mesh wire. There are places this tiny guy could probably squeeze through, although there’s no food left out for him to grab. We’re currently planning to rebuild the enclosure, but now I’m wondering if we should fast track it (mainly wanted to avoid doing it in 105 weather).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises should be lock up each night in its hide and let out every morning. Then you don't have to worry about varmits bothering them.
Until then, bring him in each night. However, I don't think the opossum would bother him. I have them in my yard a lot of nights and they never try getting into my torts or chickens coops/hides. I have cameras in my yard, so I can see if they ever do try. I've had fox, coons, cats, rats, skunk, never had them try anything.

texastort17

Texas
Tortoises should be lock up each night in its hide and let out every morning. Then you don't have to worry about varmits bothering them.
Until then, bring him in each night. However, I don't think the opossum would bother him. I have them in my yard a lot of nights and they never try getting into my torts or chickens coops/hides. I have cameras in my yard, so I can see if they ever do try. I've had fox, coons, cats, rats, skunk, never had them try anything.
Our enclosure we’re currently building is going to be one with lids that have hinges and locks on them, but would you still recommend tucking her up at night? I have a rabbit hutch for her main hide, but she tends to prefer to dig down during the evening and sometimes I do struggle to spot her before she’s taken herself to bed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the whole enclosure is going to be lockable and nothing can get in thru the bottom, then you don't really have to lock her up each night in the hide. Most enclosures are just a type of fencing or walling off without a top. That's when they should have a lockable/closeable hide and be put in it every night.

texastort17

Texas
If the whole enclosure is going to be lockable and nothing can get in thru the bottom, then you don't really have to lock her up each night in the hide. Most enclosures are just a type of fencing or walling off without a top. That's when they should have a lockable/closeable hide and be put in it every night.
I’ll include a photo of the portions they could get in. It was constructed pretty quickly last summer, but we’re definitely going to build one sans the cinder blocks. My dad kept her for 5+ year outdoors without a top lid no issue, but I wanted to make sure it was secure so she and I both slept soundly at night lol. The wood warped and I think the blocks made for a natural crack to occur unfortunately—now I know better!

I don’t want to hurt this sweet baby at all, I know they’re very misunderstood and just trying to live like the rest of us. I just don’t want to take any chances!

Attachments

• IMG_8351.jpeg
    IMG_8351.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
You have chickens. Good man.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I think they only eat insects so I'd worry much more about a racoon than I would a opossum...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think they only eat insects so I'd worry much more about a racoon than I would a opossum...
Opossum live alongside my RF group.
I often see them near (not inside)my enclosures on my security cameras. They've never harmed or even seemed to pay my RF any attention and I do not bother with them in general.
Raccoons are a serious concern. Especially hungry ones. They must be eliminated one way or another.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I'm really surprised how many of you have chickens and don't worry about the opossums. They will kill your chickens, probably not as often as the raccoons but they sure do kill chickens.

Anyway, I wouldn't trust them keep bringing your tortoise in at night until you can get the new set up ready.