Found a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanDgroovy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi there. I am in Atlanta, GA and found this guy or girl wandering outside of my apartments. I didn't want it to get crushed by a car or attacked by someone's dog.

Can someone help me identify him/her?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG00108.JPG
    IMG00108.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 67

SanDgroovy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm trying to add a pic of the top shell...

Attachments

• IMG00107.JPG
    IMG00107.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 81
  • tr.jpg
    tr.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 64

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Its some sort of box turtle. They live is woodsy areas, need a water bowl, shallow, but they are not water turtles. They eat fruits veggis and bugs. Somone may have lost it, or let it go.. post some signs up and see what response you get.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Sandy ~
Yepperz, that's an eastern ornate box tortie ~ and quite common in the south-eastern states. {At least, when I lived in NC, they were everywhere & yeah, some stooopid peeps would actually try to run them over!! Go figure!!}

Considering where you live, I would imagine he/she is just a native who wandered a little too far, lol. They are xllnt escape artists, and I would suggest releasing him/her back into a wooded area away from crowded streets, perferrably close to where you found him.

They are fun, but since he is wild caught, you cannot be sure as to any parasites or such that he may have. Plus, being a wild critter, they don't usually acclamate too well in captivity. In NC, I had an outdoor area that was 'blocked' by fallen trees, and was full of ferns and the likes.. when I would rescue one from the street, I would take him back to my wooden home and let them play in that area. They would usually hang out for a few days & then be gone soon there after. {Of course, my home was on an acre and completely surrounded by woods, so there was never a problem with them getting squished by a passing car}

Anyways, enjoy him for the moment ~ and perhaps look into what kind of care a tortie needs & then consider getting a captive bred tortie that you can truly call your own ~

Blessings,
Purpod

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is an Eastern box turtle, Terrapene carolina carolina, and a female. I agree with Purpod in that you should find a wild place close to where you found her and release her. :D

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
With the wet weather we've been having they are on the move and are quite common.

As suggested... find the nearest woods and let it go... The best time of the day to let it go would be late afternoon about 6 or 7 pm.

Ed

SanDgroovy said:
Hi there. I am in Atlanta, GA and found this guy or girl wandering outside of my apartments. I didn't want it to get crushed by a car or attacked by someone's dog.

Can someone help me identify him/her?

Thanks so much!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Agree with everyone above. Find a safe spot and put him back, that way he can continue on his journey!!

SanDgroovy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your replies!!! Aww, she was a cutie! I released her near some "woods"...or what would be a wooded area for midtown Atlanta. I hope she will be ok.

I'm definitely on the search for one I can call my own now. Thanks again guys and gals!! :)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Most xllnt news, Sandy ~ You will find care information, species requirements and all kinds of good stuff here at TF ~ learning about each species, their housing and nutritional needs, etc.., is a great way to start your search for a tortie of you own! I think you will find these shelled friends a great addition to your family ~

Wishing you well,
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.