Orchard Grass Pellets from Tractor Supply

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Covid-19 has me stocking up food for everyone in the house, including the torts...

In the interest of providing a healthy and varied diet for my tortoises, I've been looking for bulk foods that can stretch the stuff I regularly feed them for longer periods of time as needed.

I recently got some organic layer pellets after reading a thread here on TFO, and was similarly inspired to buy some grass pellets to bulk out my tort supplies.

download (2).png
I know it doesn't provide everything they need, but it can be a part of their varied and healthy diet... I like the ingredients list and the basic nutritional stats.

Standlee Premium Orchard Grass Pellets are high density, 1/4 in. diameter pellets of Standlee Premium Western Forage. Orchard Grass forage is typically slightly higher in protein and calories compared to Timothy and can be moderate to high in sugar content.

Ingredients:
Naturally Sun-Cured Premium Western Orchard Grass Forage.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 8%
Crude Fat (min.) 1.5%
Crude Fiber (max.) 35%

I picked it up at the Tractor Supply store a few miles from my house. I ordered it online and they brought it out to me in the parking lot and put it in the trunk of my car, so I didn't go inside and get coughed on.

It cost $16.49 for 40 pounds.

Jamie

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I really wanted to get some of that stuff, but ended up with alfalfa/Timothy cubes because my tractor supply won’t stock the orchard grass. It’s less ideal, but hey, my tort eats it lol

Sa Ga

MN
Do you need to worry about the sugar and protein? Or not so much for sullies?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I tried it with the breakfasts for all five of my torts this morning... I spritzed the pellets with a bit of hot water, and this nice grassy smell bloomed.

I mixed it in with some mixed greens and a bit of butternut squash and some rehydrated hibiscus and wakame, and everyone seems to be digging it... I'll have a better idea an hour from now if they've been eating around it, but it looks like all five torts are eating it.

{{{to be fair, I mixed it in with foods they've already grown used to and that they like}}}

Jamie