Oregon looking for a Sulcata!

Jasen King

Location (City and/or State)
Lebanon,Oregon
Hello, everyone thank you for this forum. I am here to learn from all of you that know so much about torts. My wife is a stay at home mom with no kids left to care for. She is very detail oriented and loves animals but has a huge heart for anything with a shell! I am a construction superintendent the only reason I tell you that is to show I have the income to provide for my wife’s next baby. We can’t have kinds to a Sulcata is what she wants. She has had torts before and knows a lot more than I do.

We have a large back yard and a 4 bedroom house. One of the rooms is getting a large tortious door installed into the exterior wall. My wife is home everyday and needs a large Sulcata as much as all these I see on here need a home.

I understand the 100 post rule and have a feeling it’s going to take more than that to find my wife her new baby. Once I can respond to posts I would love to post pics of the back yard and bedroom that will be for our new Sulcata.

Any indoor environment ideas you all have I will be absorbing them and taking notes. We what to build the perfect indoor/ outdoor environment that our new Sulcata can use as they please. We are very serious about this and will pay for shipping (that’s not cheap) and a refining fee of needed.

Thank you for now for reading all this looking forward to hearing from you all son about a Sulcata that needs a great home.

PS. The bigger tortious the better!!! We want a dinosaur!

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
one of the ideas i have for it and this is a must have for it witch I hope your wife knows it that the walls have to be covered in plastic wrap some kind of it for the enclosure to keep humidity and so your walls don't mold but for anything else i can not really tell you i only have redfoots and all i now is they need humidity hope this helps

Mr.pacheco

Missouri

here is a website i found enjoy and will look for some that are free and need to be adopted 🙃

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, you should be able to find a sulcata that needs rehoming.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
There a zillions of Sulcata needing homes. you should have no trouble finding one in need.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Welcome to the forum! Please take a look at these threads to be ready and prepared for your tortoise!

Please set up your enclosures, run it, check it and make adjustments BEFORE you bring home a new tortoise. Don't rush with getting a tortoise if your space isn't ready. I assure you that there are so many sulcatas waiting for a home, that you won't be left without!

What size of a room do you have and what is the size of the outdoor space you are able to provide?

I am not so informed about sulcatas, but @Tom @wellington and @Yvonne G will be able to give you more information.

ryan57

PA
one of the ideas i have for it and this is a must have for it witch I hope your wife knows it that the walls have to be covered in plastic wrap some kind of it for the enclosure to keep humidity and so your walls don't mold but for anything else i can not really tell you i only have redfoots and all i now is they need humidity hope this helps
There is also green board and tile like a large shower with 3/4" plywood standing off the walls.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello, everyone thank you for this forum. I am here to learn from all of you that know so much about torts. My wife is a stay at home mom with no kids left to care for. She is very detail oriented and loves animals but has a huge heart for anything with a shell! I am a construction superintendent the only reason I tell you that is to show I have the income to provide for my wife’s next baby. We can’t have kinds to a Sulcata is what she wants. She has had torts before and knows a lot more than I do.

We have a large back yard and a 4 bedroom house. One of the rooms is getting a large tortious door installed into the exterior wall. My wife is home everyday and needs a large Sulcata as much as all these I see on here need a home.

I understand the 100 post rule and have a feeling it’s going to take more than that to find my wife her new baby. Once I can respond to posts I would love to post pics of the back yard and bedroom that will be for our new Sulcata.

Any indoor environment ideas you all have I will be absorbing them and taking notes. We what to build the perfect indoor/ outdoor environment that our new Sulcata can use as they please. We are very serious about this and will pay for shipping (that’s not cheap) and a refining fee of needed.

Thank you for now for reading all this looking forward to hearing from you all son about a Sulcata that needs a great home.

You can post any time and pictures. The 100 post rule applies to selling a tortoise and there are rules to the personal promotion section. Other than those, you are good to post.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Hello and welcome. It is good that you've posted and invited feed back. Here is mine: Choose a different species.

Sulcatas are the wrong species for almost everyone. They need warm tropical temperatures all year long, and they need HUGE warm spaces to walk around in. An entire heated room is a fraction of how much space they need. Even in warm areas of the country like Southern CA, Southern TX, and Southern FL, where they can be outside in large enclosures all year long with a heated shelter for night time, this species is difficult, destructive, and expensive to house. There are SOOOOOO many other species that would suit your climate and enclosure size limitations much better.

Here is a list of other species to consider:
-The best for your climate would be a Testudo species that can be housed in a reasonably small, by comparison, area and can brumate over winter. Look for Russians, hermanni, and greeks. Marginated tortoises are beautiful and get even larger than these first three, but still small enough to live in a room sized enclosure over winter.
-If a large tortoise is required look up manouria or a South African leopard tortoise. With a room sized enclosure for cold nights and winters, and a closable doggie door leading to a large outdoor pen for fair weather, either of these could work.
-Your wife might also like one fo the smaller tropical species that can be kept indoors all winter in a room sized enclosure. Look up pancake tortoises, Indotestudo, Indian stars, and one of my personal favorites:

Unfortunately, sulcatas are one of the few species that are just not practical or feasible for your area. I would also recommend against getting a red foot, Galapagos or Aldabra.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sister lives in Corvallis and she has been keeping turtles and tortoises for over 25 years. Do a search for Bob and Maggie3fan. She just recently re-homed Knobby aka Mary to someone in NorCal because Mary (sulcata) was not happy living in Oregon, where people don't tan, they rust. And Mary had a large, heated shed with access to outside.

And while Mr.pacheco has given advice about where to look for a sulcata, I hope you will keep the sulcata's needs in mind before you get one. Oregon is NOT the place for a sulcata, no matter how much your wife wants one.

Jasen King

Lebanon,Oregon
Thank you, that is great information. We are planning on covering the walls like a shower surround!

Jasen King

Lebanon,Oregon
Thank you for your advice, the last thing we want to do is ruin the life of any of Gods creatures! We will take everything you said into consideration moving forward.