Ornamental grass recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
Looking to spruce up my outdoor enclosure this fall for next year. I want to include some ornamental grasses. I want to make a few raised beds for more decoration than a food source, but something that wouldn't be toxic if ingested. What do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app
1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
What about an ornamental grass makes it "ornamental" for you? A big fountain of blades, color, seed cluster at the top? Many of the grasses that people feed out are ornamentals in one way or another.

One that I use that may first come to mind as an ornamental is american millet, Milium effusum. Nurseries sell it as Golden Millet grass, or flashlight millet.

It is palatable to tortoises, not a bad forage for them, and is an "ornamental" grass. Cats seem to like much better than "cat grass" too.

Might be good to reverse engineer your interest, find a grass you like, then see about it's potential issues with tortoises.

Will

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
Yes I suppose I should narrow it down, but it all appeals to me. I've read about some being toxic to humans and not animals. and vise versa ,Just wondered what people prefer themselves. Thanks for the input.

1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Johnlaws said:
Yes I suppose I should narrow it down, but it all appeals to me.

So little garden, so many plants.

I have a balcony that faces west (more or less), and gets about two hours of sun a day, before the next building blocks the direct light. That space is for the tortoises to get their rays. Plants get second chair.

The back balcony faces north (more or less), and gets about an hour of direct sun in the winter, right at sunset. Good for wood violets, dichondra, and that millet, not much else.

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Will, is that millet as in bird food millet? Like buy some millet at the Magnolia Bird Farm in Anaheim and plant it for tortoises? Also, Johnlaws, groworganic.com is Peaceful Valley and they have some wonderful grazing mixes you can use. You might want to check online or have them mail you a catalog. I rather like the plant bird seed, get tortoise edibles, idea. If it's cool. Let's see what the experts think!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
BeeBee*BeeLeaves,

That grass is not a 'true' millet. It is from the northeast US and adjacent part of Canada. I first bough it because my cat is half cow, and like to eat alot of grass. Then I thought I'd try it with some pancakes, they took is so so. The Leopards I am now growing, and a few others like it alot. It is very rare in the wild these days, as deer like it so much, and the deer population is a bit out of balance (but that's another story).

It has been called millet as the seed clusters look like real grain millet, but that is about it. It taste OK, I ate a few bits myself.

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thanks much Will. I just did a search and Proven Winners is a supplier and my local Home Depot carries that brand, so I am going to ask if my garden manager will order it. BeeBee : )

Here is a link everyone, and you can go to Find a Retailer to see who may have it near you.

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/milium/aureum-golden-millet-grass-milium-effusum

PS That chartreuse color will look lovely in habitats/enclosures. It will "pop". Pretty and edible, can't lose.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
I was more looking for large tall plumes for decoration more than for food. They would be planted in raised beds out of the reach of the tortoise. I read so much about some being harmful for certain animals and ok for humans and vise versa. I was looking for something tall and attractive but if he was to eat it be ok. And at the end of the season I could cut them back and at that time offer as food.

1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Mexican feather grass is one I can think of that would work that way. I did read that somewhere. If you find another, check on thetortoisetable.org.uk for edibility. I would think most grasses would be okay, but you are right, once you find a variety you like just double check on that website or ask here.

Here is the grasses and fern section at The Tortoise Table website. They add to it all the time. If you find something and you are not sure, you may want to submit the pic and name and have them research it and then they will add it for everyone else to know about. Cool.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?thissection=2

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
Cool, thanks for the info. Ill do some more research.

1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

Status
Not open for further replies.