Ornate wood turtle experience?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Anybody have experience keeping Ornate Wood Turtles (aka Central American Wood Turtle)?
I'm thinking ahead for my next turtle/tort which will be in a couple of years, so I have plenty of time to research.

Difficult? Easy? Aquarium or pond/tub?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
They're a nice species to keep, from what I hear. Supposedly hardy and personable.

Obviously, their beauty is undeniable, and they are so amazingly cheap right now. For that reason, I would get them sooner than later. Adults have recently been for sale for $45. A guy up in Cape Cod wrote a cool article on keeping them for REPTILES Magazine a year of two ago. I bet you could access that through reptilechannel.com

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They are a fantastic turtle species to work with. I have a few in my greenhouse. They seek shelter quite a bit. But I keep them in a very dense naturalistic like setting. They are very easy to keep. Your location would be great in spring-early fall kept outside. They humidity in LA is rather similar(tropics) of Central America.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks so much, Anthony and Kelly!
I would LOOOOOVE to get some right now, unfortunately for at least the next year, and possibly more, I am working out of town 4 days a week. This means the care of our animals falls to my hubby who works full time (and then some). So we've had to agree that it just does not make sense to add any more animals to our household until I'm home more. :(

...but there's no harm in dreaming and researching!!!;)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
You forced me to Google them. Wow, very pretty species!
I'd love to have one, but I am. It setup for turtles, despite my current rescue Cooter. I'm gonna stick with my Sullies and Redfoots.

turtletortoisefarmer

5 Year Member
hi moozillion I have three of them they are active and eat worms out of my hands. I keep them kind of like my red foot. they do like to soak more, I keep them in a stock tank right now covered with plastic.this summer they will go out.i got mine at turtle source.good luck.

WilliamB

I have a lot of experince with them. I have a large breedding colony that is kept outdoors. They are to a very large extent land dwelling but enjoy having shallow water holes to soak in.

They are hardy and easy to care for.

They are mainly active during the the rainy season. During the dry season they hibernate or reach a state close to hibernation. Usually partly dugg down at the base of plants in heavy shrubbery. They start moving around again once the rain returns. Providing a more damp environment will cause them to be active all year. This is true in gardens with sprinklers as well as pens indoors.

They tend to lay one to two small batches of eggs a year. Adult specimens are easy to sex on the tail and the fact that females are larger (and constantely followed by 2 or more males ,-) )

This is all based on my experince. If you have any specific questions. feel free to ask.

I can add that they def. grow to know their keepers and come running for food when they see me.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
@Moozillion are you still thinking about getting an Ornate Wood turtle? I am interested in these guys too along with the Chinese Box turtle. I am like you its nothing in the near future but dreaming of the future.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi, TortsNTurtles!
Actually, I'm now considering a South African Leopard or a Burmese Star these days. And more aquatic turtles like the spotteds are also a consideration! It'll be another couple of years before I decide.
Good luck with your turtle plans!:p