Otis the Minx!

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
This morning, I went on a lovely walk through fields, and happened to pick out some nice clover and a bundle of dandelions. I thought I was the best tort mum around. Striding back with pure pride, weeds clasped like a trophy in hand, I soaked them, and then put them in front of Otis. I was expecting an adorable, chomping rampage. She munched on the clover all right, and I could not withhold my glee. Then, to the dandelions. She took one sniff and literally, like a human would, turned her nose up at them. I could almost imagine a nasal, heavily accented voice accompanying it. "Oh, I'm not touching that!"
In dismay, I even tried mushing cucumber with it, so see if I could fool her and she'd at least try it. But no, I went and got the only tortoise in the world that doesn't like dandelions. Even with cucumber, I could sense her snarky look that said, "nice try". My tortoise can replicate human expressions. You betcha, Otis is a hybrid intelligent tortoise prodigy. I wouldn't be surprised if she started dabbing at her damp chin with her legs.
She's only seven months and mimicking teenage antics. For she hadn't fully shown her point yet. She just had to rub it in my face. (Here comes the gross part...) She turns around, nose in the air, and promptly pees all over her dandelions before sashaying away (rather stompily for sashaying, but I saw what she was trying to do) to bask.
I wanted to say to her that her elegance had been tainted because she would eat off something she peed on, which was terribly disrespectful, before I reminded myself I was talking to a tortoise. (By the way, I did clean her slate, but still...).
She's a little minx! Have you had any similar experiences with your torts? If so, feel free to share them :D
Hope you didn't find this TOO disgusting, hehe.
image3-9.JPG
(meanwhile, she still adores cucumber!)
Olivia

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Vern will have NOTHING to do with Swiss Chard. I have cut it, mashed it, cooked it, pureed it and still anything it TOUCHES is contaminated. Even in mazuri or raspberry puree. He snorts and spits it out and gives me the 'stink eye'.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
my Russian is poop all over their food all the time it's a regular occurrence

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Vern will have NOTHING to do with Swiss Chard. I have cut it, mashed it, cooked it, pureed it and still anything it TOUCHES is contaminated. Even in mazuri or raspberry puree. He snorts and spits it out and gives me the 'stink eye'.
Wow...that sounds hilarious.
I'm glad to say Otis munched one dandelion after warily deciding it wasn't just an obstacle to stomp over. :rolleyes:
Olivia

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
my Russian is poop all over their food all the time it's a regular occurrence
Haha, Otis does poop sometimes on her feeding dish but never over her food, she usually goes while she's soaking. :)
I love how Russians and Hermann's (and lots of other tortoise species of course) have in such great personalities.
Olivia