Our new indoor in closure

Reineduro

My wife and I have two male leopard tortoises (we thought one was going to be female but HE has shown his try colors) and we just built a new indoor in closure for them :) it's a table that is 3'x8' with substrate, rock, and dirt sections. I was wanting to know what y'all thought about our inclosure and if I needed to make any adjustments?

Thanks guys!image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's very nice, but I'd like to make a couple of constructive criticisms, if you don't mind?

That type of waterer was invented for lizards and snakes. Since tortoises are hard-bodied and can't bend, it's quite hard for them to reach over the side to get a drink. And if they try to climb the ramp and get inside, they often tip over backwards trying to climb out because of the straight up-and-down sides. I have found that a plant saucer a little larger than the tortoise works great. You can bury it down into the substrate and the tortoise can just reach in to drink, but if he wants to soak, he can climb into then out of quite easily because of the sloping sides.

You may find that you need two enclosures because of a dominance issue, but if they're getting along ok for now, just keep your eye on them.

Also, are there hiding places?

Reineduro

Thank you very much for the input :) yea there is a boston fern in there that they love to hide under :) and we planted some other plants they can eat and they have devoured them lol. So far they are not bullying each other but I know with two males that is possible. We are currently looking for a female.