Out door grazing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
I'm getting ready to build a new outdoor living/grazing area for my little guy. He is only two now but I'm wondering when he is older, will he over graze a 45'X40' pen? And what are your favoring grasses or weeds to plant?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Little guy, what species? What USDA climate zone are you in?

Many vendors offer mixed seeds for species types of tortoise, like European or testudo mix. That would simplify the 'which seeds to get'.

If you want to sort out your own there is a webpage called feedapedia that provides nutritional values for many less traditional feed plants utilized in different climates and places around the world.

Some trees and vines are also good sources of feed plants parts. Some well known include white mulberry, vitus vinifera grape vines, and hibiscus.

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
And roses! Tortoises love roses. And squash blossoms. St. Augustine grass is a favorite, too, for these big 'ums.
Visit thetortoisetable.org.uk for more information on foods. : )

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
I have a sully, he's about two. I love in southern oregon so for now this will just be for summer time. Will have to modify when he is to big for his indoor home. I'm really wondering if the area will be large enough for him to graze long term when he is older or if I will need to make it even bigger?!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He won't be able to keep up with an area that size for another few years. I'm petty sure an adult could eventually knock that down faster than it could regrow.

A very wise woman (Yvonne) once suggested to me that I should divide the area up into two or three parts and only allow the tortoise to graze one area at a time. This rotation will allow the grass to recover in one area while he eats the other. I am using a system like this now with 4x8 plots of grass. I have a whole row of them with sprinklers along one inside wall of my enclosure and I simply open up one or two plots at a time. When the grass starts getting lower, I close that one up and open the next. The question is, how many 4x8' sections will I need to keep up with a growing herd?

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I use deer food plot seeds. "throw and grow" is very easy to use. It has various grasses, brassicas and clovers.
Works for me!

:)

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
Tom I that rotation was exactly what I was thinking about if we ran into that problem :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1378697284.215052.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378697314.865676.jpg how does his weight look, I know there is no set in stone size/per age but just checking. He hasn't ever been sick or had any problems since we have bad him (two years in January)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.