Picky while grazing

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hey everyone. So when I bring Sheldon outside, there's only a few things that he will eat. Dandelions and clover. He goes at them like it will be his last meal he ever eats. With the dandelions he only eats the flower. There is plenty of fresh grass, and various weeds out there. He just chooses not to eat them. I usually end up bringing a couple handfuls of the stuff that I want him to eat home with us and mixing a tiny amount Mazuri with it and he then devours it. So my first question is, is there anything else I can do to get him to eat more variety while grazing? And then my second question is, I have read a few older post saying not to let them eat a lot of dandelions because of the oxalate that it contains and the danger of stones. I keep him well hydrated, he has not passed any visible urates in months. So could he still develop stones from eating too many if he's very well hydrated?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
To be honest, I think that’s pretty normal. With Curtis it is, when he’s not trying to eat rocks or the driveway, lol.
I think that the flowers would be perfectly fine, especially if he’s only eating a lot of dandelions when he’s grazing. I think it only becomes a problem when dandelions are a big part of the diet :)

Jay Bagley

Michigan
To be honest, I think that’s pretty normal. With Curtis it is, when he’s not trying to eat rocks or the driveway, lol.
I think that the flowers would be perfectly fine, especially if he’s only eating a lot of dandelions when he’s grazing. I think it only becomes a problem when dandelions are a big part of the diet :)
That is good news, the yard and field we go to is littered with them. I kept picking him up and trying to steer him in a different direction, and he would just pick a different one to zero in on. When he would come across a big patch of them, he reminded me of a game that I used to play when I was a kid. It was called Hungry Hungry Hippos. Thanks for the advice.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That is good news, the yard and field we go to is littered with them. I kept picking him up and trying to steer him in a different direction, and he would just pick a different one to zero in on. When he would come across a big patch of them, he reminded me of a game that I used to play when I was a kid. It was called Hungry Hungry Hippos. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, Curtis is the same, lol. No problem!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Mine too it’s like putting a kid in front of a salad or a bag of chips. If they have a choice they will go for the junk food!
Lol, it's fun to watch. Sometimes it gets a little disheartening seeing how much other good stuff is out there and he just walks right over it. Hopefully as he grows, so will his taste for variety.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Mine gives me a hard time eating greens in his enclosure. When I bring him outside though as soon as he hits the ground he starts eating anything green in sight!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That's awesome, my guy seems to want to explore for a while. Then he starts tearing the dandelions up.