Picky eater issues

Holly'sMom

I decided to add some spouts into our set up under the assumption Belle would eat them or possibly hide in them.. they grow about an inch in a few days so I figured it'd work for grazing or whatever but she won't eat them. First I only added a few and she ate the tops off so I added a bunch more and they've gone untouched.. she seems to only want to eat lettuce, dandelion leaves( not flowers), and grassland tort food, but refuses grass clippings even fresh (I seriously grow grass along w trying to just cut handfuls in the yard). No prickly pear All 3 of my habicous plants have been a no go along with my neighbors (their flowers are a lot bigger ) Is this normal. Being such a picky eater? Even outside she sticks to the same. She eats a lot just not a big veriety and I offer a ton of varieties store bought and home grown.

Attachments

• IMG_2420.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mix the new stuffed chopped up fine with her normal favorite stuff and spritz with water. She will have to eat the new to get to her faves. Eventually she will eat it all freely. Some are slower or more picky on trying new stuff

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I decided to add some spouts into our set up under the assumption Belle would eat them or possibly hide in them.. they grow about an inch in a few days so I figured it'd work for grazing or whatever but she won't eat them. First I only added a few and she ate the tops off so I added a bunch more and they've gone untouched.. she seems to only want to eat lettuce, dandelion leaves( not flowers), and grassland tort food, but refuses grass clippings even fresh (I seriously grow grass along w trying to just cut handfuls in the yard). No prickly pear All 3 of my habicous plants have been a no go along with my neighbors (their flowers are a lot bigger ) Is this normal. Being such a picky eater? Even outside she sticks to the same. She eats a lot just not a big veriety and I offer a ton of varieties store bought and home grown.

Oli is an extremely picky eater. It took me "ages" to get him to eat mazuri, and now he eats it daily. It was a matter of time, so do not worry/panic.

Holly'sMom

She will eat the mazuri wo issues it seems like she'll pick through even the grassland tort food to pick that out. I assumed fresh was better than store made? Also someone else said I should only be offering food 5 days than one day off? She doesn't eat 1/2 of what we give in am/evening (I change it because it seems to get all nasty from the heat/humidity and she tramples over it getting substrate into it so I change it while soaking. Also I noticed the small dish of water I have in there, she's sticking her head in (under the water) drinking. It's big enough for her to fit and shallow enough if the flipped she'd be ok but should I keep soaking 2X a day or go down to one? Or remove the water? It's under a heat lamp to help w humidity

Holly'sMom

She doesn't walk into the water just sticks her head in. It freaked me out at first because well she had her head under and I was afraid she was stuck but she wasn't and it's happened a few times I've caught she drinks and then is on the move again

Fredkas

5 Year Member
She doesn't walk into the water just sticks her head in. It freaked me out at first because well she had her head under and I was afraid she was stuck but she wasn't and it's happened a few times I've caught she drinks and then is on the move again
How cute. I never saw mine doing that.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think "picky eaters" are torts that have trained their owners to only give them what they like ! If they are hungry enough , they will eat ! If you would be denying her food that's one thing , she is choosing not to eat it that's not your fault , when she gets hungry enough she will eat what is offered !