Out door house (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
So after the last storm that came thru Texas I new it was time to make some modifications to Vegas's out door home. We lifted it off the ground and added supports that are burried so the house does not move.

After I thought it was finished, he refused to go inside the lifted area and stayed underneath it, so I added the tunnel and before I got it finished he was going in and out. Had to keep him busy with food so that I could finish.

So after about 4 days of working on it in between work, it's about 85% completed, still have a few more things I want do.

Here are a few photo's of what it looks like. I had some photos of when i sat flush on the ground but for the life of me I don't know what happened to them..

I think it looks okay for something thats made out of mostly scrap wood..

Also the inside of the house stays about 80 degress without a heat lamp..

As a side note, he has stopped digging since he has a hide under the house..

downsized950504111658a.jpg

0504111549.jpg

downsized950504111548a.jpg

downsized950504111542.jpg

0504111541.jpg

IMG00129-20110508-1129-2.jpg

IMG00135-20110508-1414.jpg

IMG00134-20110508-1414.jpg

IMG00136-20110508-1414.jpg

IMG00137-20110508-1414.jpg

IMG00139-20110508-1415.jpg

IMG00132-20110508-1130.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Our forum members are just so inventive! So, he actually walks up the ramp and goes inside the house? LOL! That's just too much! I'd love to see that.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
That is so cool and I just learned that cinder block is harder to work with than it looks.

That is so cool and I just learned that cinder block is harder to work with than it looks.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
emysemys said:
Our forum members are just so inventive! So, he actually walks up the ramp and goes inside the house? LOL! That's just too much! I'd love to see that.

He only went up the ramp when I built the tunnel, now he loves to go inside..

Angi said:

Right now it works for us because we have moved the location twice. eventually once we buy a house we will use a combination of wood and cinder blocks

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I like your idea :)

How deep do those 2x4's go in the dirt? I'd be afraid of him snapping a leg off. But I like the ingenuity.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I really have to give Sulcata (and other big) tortoise owners a lot of credit. My biggest tortoise is about an 12" female Marginated. Everything else is smaller. They are not even remotely the "tanks" that Sulcata and other big tortoises are. I never have to think much about building heavy duty near bullet proof fort like all you guys do!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
FernandoM said:
I like your idea :)

How deep do those 2x4's go in the dirt? I'd be afraid of him snapping a leg off. But I like the ingenuity.

They are a little over a foot into the ground and the legs are all connected. the legs are also screwed and glued into the frame. I sat on it and I am 235lbs and it didn't budge

GBtortoises said:
I really have to give Sulcata (and other big) tortoise owners a lot of credit. My biggest tortoise is about an 12" female Marginated. Everything else is smaller. They are not even remotely the "tanks" that Sulcata and other big tortoises are. I never have to think much about building heavy duty near bullet proof fort like all you guys do!

This is just temp because of space constraints, once we get a bigger house with a larger yard, we will be getting a shed..

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
You obviously graduated Valedictorian from my father's school of "Use whatever if at hand and paint it green". :D Great Job!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Zouave said:
You obviously graduated Valedictorian from my father's school of "Use whatever if at hand and paint it green". :D Great Job!!

Lol, I learned in the Military to use what ever you have and make it work..The green does make it all blend...

jaizei said:
Looks great.

Thanks..

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thats A Cool Idea, Most People Usually Just Buy Dog Houses Or Other Products
Awsome :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
emysemys said:

Just click the photo and it will take you to the link of him climbing out of the house and he has white around his mouth so he has been eating on the cuddlebone that he has, lol

Jacob said:
Thats A Cool Idea, Most People Usually Just Buy Dog Houses Or Other Products
Awsome :)

It use to be part of his tortoise table, lol. So I just recycled it..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That video is pretty darned cute!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
emysemys said:
That video is pretty darned cute!

He spends a lot of time in there now, he eats and goes in there and sleeps.. We are so happy he likes it in there..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
So very funny. You should audition him for the 'Got Milk' ads.
He looks cuter than a lot of them (as far as I am concerned).

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
lynnedit said:
So very funny. You should audition him for the 'Got Milk' ads.
He looks cuter than a lot of them (as far as I am concerned).

It can be the add for got cuddlebone....he slowly ate on that piece for a week...Thank you, he makes you love him...

Status
Not open for further replies.