outdoor enclosure for Russians. advice needed.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
The plastic roof panels was a good idea. They shouldn't get any grip on that. I saw earlier that you said something about planting tomatoes, I think the vines are poisonous. So you might want to avoid tomatoes. But they would love the squash and other things. Is the night box able to be divided if needed? Can your husband come and build my tortoise one? :) hopefully the weather will cooperate and they can get out there soon. Then you can get started on the other pens :)
He probably would if you're serious. The materials were about $250 i think.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It sounds like you're going to have some nice plants in there. They may be able to climb up the tires so just watch them. Your eventual male tortoise is going to be very happy :) I probably don't need a heated box but I might think about it. Especially for this time of year when it's cold in the morning but gets better in the afternoon. How are you going to heat it? I don't have outdoor electricity. I would love to have a little greenhouse, maybe next year. I think you've got a very nice set up for all your tortoises. Or are in the process of getting it, it does take time. We are such a demanding a lot, all we want is more and more pictures. When is all grown in it will be great.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It sounds like you're going to have some nice plants in there. They may be able to climb up the tires so just watch them. Your eventual male tortoise is going to be very happy :) I probably don't need a heated box but I might think about it. Especially for this time of year when it's cold in the morning but gets better in the afternoon. How are you going to heat it? I don't have outdoor electricity. I would love to have a little greenhouse, maybe next year. I think you've got a very nice set up for all your tortoises. Or are in the process of getting it, it does take time. We are such a demanding a lot, all we want is more and more pictures. When is all grown in it will be great.
Thanks. I will keep a close eye on them. They will be out there for more than a month before the tomatoes go in.
My wonderful husband ran electricity out there for me. I have a kane mat and a mini oil filled radiator type heater on a thermostat. I am still waiting for the heater to show up. Pretty sure it will hold temps well though. Just the kane mat kept it 10 degrees warmer than almost freezing outside temp overnight.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Couple more pics. Put the girls out for an hour or so this evening. The walkway is done and the insulated box will maintain 80F overnight in below freezing temps.

Attachments

• 0407151654.jpg
    0407151654.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 0407151649b.jpg
    0407151649b.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 0407151651.jpg
    0407151651.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 0407151648.jpg
    0407151648.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Looks good. I bet they were happy. Are you going to keep them out there tonight then? What's your weather supposed to be this week?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Isn't that box just so GREAT with holding temps?? :D I myself have been pleasantly surprised with how it keeps 80° temps inside while freezing temps are outside! ...It's an awesome design :cool:

P.S. I'm soo looking forward to the development of this enclosure. Thanks for sharing ;)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Looks good. I bet they were happy. Are you going to keep them out there tonight then? What's your weather supposed to be this week?
No I brought them in. It barely reached 60 yesterday and only for a bit. It's supposed to be warmer by Friday, but cool back off this weekend. By the next weekend though we are supposed to be warming up. Need the weeds n stuff to grow.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The enclosure is doing well. No issues so far. I added an underground hide specifically for Thelma who likes to burrow completely underground. She won't use it so far. Sigh. I have a butterfly bush, rose of Sharon and a lilac bush in the green house to plant when they get bigger. Hopefully in time for the heat to kick up. Parts of the garden are shaded all day.
Anyway here are some pics now that the weeds are growing good.
This is the garden from my back deck. It is 24 X 24.
IMG_20150519_103225.jpg
This is the quarantine area. The box is also divided.
IMG_20150519_103251.jpg
The front of the box, and the underground hide back in the corner.
IMG_20150519_103302.jpg
One of two hides and Louise.IMG_20150519_103337.jpg
The back corner and Pendleton, my only male, and most active.
IMG_20150519_103348.jpg