outdoor enclosure for Russians. advice needed.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
I'm very ENVY of the space that you have there.........But very happy for your torts.

Looking forward to see when you complete this enclosure!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The 24'x 24' space is just for the russians?? Thats AWESOME..... can't wait to see it all set up and planted.

Btw, I housed the russians with 12" plywood walls and a 4" plywood lip/ cap along the whole thing. It was painted (a neutral color for 1pen and a green color the others) and it actually looked very pretty. Plus, climbing out was never a fear in the back in mind ;)

I know you already started but are you dead set on using the railroad ties? I fear you will find 1 missing one day and regret it. I've had 3 friends loose a Russian due to escaping. At least 2 of them climbed out (don't remember how the 3rd escaped) ..not to mention the MANY climbing/escape stories I read here. Some of which include the railroad ties.

I, like your hubby would also hate the look of capped railroad ties or a perimeter lip on them...so I'd personally never use the ties with a Russian.

Anyway, keep us updated on the progress :)
I know. Pretty set on the ties. Going to keep an eye on them. If one escapes, it ends up in the fenced backyard. Will keep the dog inside while not home. With the overhang climbing out would be a feat, but not trying to underestimate these guys. I might staple plastic to the walls to make it slick, if it looks like they're trying. Am definitely capping the corners, may round them out.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I love all that room.Please post pictures of the step by step progress as you go. I am going to watch this tread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pretty set on the ties.

Woman, you are one hard-headed individual. You know why I can say that? Because I'm just as hard-headed sometimes. That's how I recognize it so easily. :D

Seriously though. You've had four long term experienced members, members who have been keeping russians for years, come on and tell you that railroad ties are not suitable for a russian enclosure, and yet you persist. Make me number five, although I lack the grace and tact of the first four. Here is what's going to happen: You will go out there in June or July and you won't be able to find one of them. You will do a panicky adrenaline filled search on your hands and knees for 20 or 30 minutes and when you don't find him/her, you will remember this thread from so many months ago where everyone told you NOT to use railroad ties. Then you will probably cry. Well, I would cry at that point. You might be tougher than me.

Here's an idea: LISTEN to the people you have asked for advice. We are trying to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot, but you seem pretty darned determined!

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is all said tongue in cheek with a smile and meant to be lighthearted goading among friends. You can't get tone and friendly sarcasm connotations in the typed word, so I wanted to be clear, I'm just kidding around with a tortoise friend here.

That is a great space and its almost ready to go. I would line that picket fence with 16" high plywood strips that are sunk slightly into the ground, then use the pavers, then cap the corners and finally run a 2x4 lip all the way around. We are not kidding when we russians are escape artists. My way of thinking is that if a big lizard could escape, so can my russian tortoise. I just put mine in a fully enclosed giant cage. You can see it here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
Jacqui has shown pics of something similar too for her russians if memory serves... @Jacqui might you have a link to that past thread?

Anyhow, I hope you take this post as the good fun I intended it to be, and I wish you best of luck whatever way you decide to go.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Have you considered that railroad ties are treated with creosote? It is a rather noxious and toxic compound. I would be sure there is no oozing or wet creosote exposed where the torts might contact it.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Have you considered that railroad ties are treated with creosote? It is a rather noxious and toxic compound. I would be sure there is no oozing or wet creosote exposed where the torts might contact it.
No there old. There is no leaking.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Woman, you are one hard-headed individual. You know why I can say that? Because I'm just as hard-headed sometimes. That's how I recognize it so easily. :D

Seriously though. You've had four long term experienced members, members who have been keeping russians for years, come on and tell you that railroad ties are not suitable for a russian enclosure, and yet you persist. Make me number five, although I lack the grace and tact of the first four. Here is what's going to happen: You will go out there in June or July and you won't be able to find one of them. You will do a panicky adrenaline filled search on your hands and knees for 20 or 30 minutes and when you don't find him/her, you will remember this thread from so many months ago where everyone told you NOT to use railroad ties. Then you will probably cry. Well, I would cry at that point. You might be tougher than me.

Here's an idea: LISTEN to the people you have asked for advice. We are trying to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot, but you seem pretty darned determined!

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is all said tongue in cheek with a smile and meant to be lighthearted goading among friends. You can't get tone and friendly sarcasm connotations in the typed word, so I wanted to be clear, I'm just kidding around with a tortoise friend here.

That is a great space and its almost ready to go. I would line that picket fence with 16" high plywood strips that are sunk slightly into the ground, then use the pavers, then cap the corners and finally run a 2x4 lip all the way around. We are not kidding when we russians are escape artists. My way of thinking is that if a big lizard could escape, so can my russian tortoise. I just put mine in a fully enclosed giant cage. You can see it here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
Jacqui has shown pics of something similar too for her russians if memory serves... @Jacqui might you have a link to that past thread?

Anyhow, I hope you take this post as the good fun I intended it to be, and I wish you best of luck whatever way you decide to go.
Lol. I am hard headed, but this isn't me. I also have to make my husband happy. He has worked very hard on the yard and what i do has to be accepted by him. He is not okay with the type of pen you describe. I have spent several hundred dollars on the ties and he is not going to be ok with a new plan. I am going to have to make this work. If i have to cap them, i will. He won't be happy, but if one gets out he will have to agree. I will have to hope for the best. The backyard would be tough to get out of even if one gets out of the enclosure. I made sure yesterday there were no holes under the fence.
It seems like the overhang should help? Surely they can't hang? Well a lizard can i guess, so i should expect it. Will undoubtedly keep me on my toes.
Anyway i do appreciate the advice and the experience, even if it seems i am not listening. I am n trying to keep my husband happy at the same time. Kinda sounds like i am going to lose. :-(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh the things we do to try to keep our spouses happy...

My wife is into horses. This pretty much gives me carte blanche to do whatever I want with tortoises because no matter what I do, it is cheaper and easier than horses.

Jodie, has the hubby ever showed any interest in horses?... :p

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA

My wife is into horses. This pretty much gives me carte blanche to do whatever I want with tortoises because no matter what I do, it is cheaper and easier than horses.

Lol. The Harleys give me the negotiation power i have. He likes the tortoises ok, and kind of enjoys the builds. He is very hard headed though, and won't believe it is necessary until the lesson is learned the hard way. Shold have heard the arguments when i insisted on closed chambers for my Leopards, not to mention seperate enclosures for each.
Men......:rolleyes: gotta love mine. :)

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East

lol my husband is the same.We both give to get. But my poor hubby has to put with horses, chickens,torts, and turtles. I would love for him to be into any of my hobbies. We both like to be outdoors but he says he don't have to feed anything with his hobbies just sometimes eat them :( He does have his hunting dog come to think of it.He likes to hunt & MMA. I don't like either both too brutal for me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Can you ask your hubby what his dislike of topping all the way around those ties is? Then perhaps we can come up with something he will like, isn't going to cost too much and most importantly keeps those Russians in.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Can you ask your hubby what his dislike of topping all the way around those ties is? Then perhaps we can come up with something he will like, isn't going to cost too much and most importantly keeps those Russians in.
It would cost a fairly significant amount at the size, but his biggest objection is appearance and accessibility. I get to use the whole garde because we can build raised boxes inside, great sight barriers, and to grow tomatoes and peppers in. I am thinking if we drill rebar, for stability, and increase the overhang on the top tie, maybe this would keep them in? Stacking them the way i did creates an almost 2 inch lip. In my mind i don't see how they could get out of that, but i have learned to trust you guys.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Two inches might be enough to do the trick. The problem is those ties have so many wonderful places for them to stick their nails in and hold on tight, as compared to a smoother wall. That's why some amount of over hang is needed. Two inches should be just enough, give it a test try.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I stacked them so as few as possible of those nail holds are available. Is there someting i could paint or spray on the ties that would make them smooth? I had thought about plastic, but it was pointed out they will tear that. Some kind of silicone sealant or something? Hubby might have some ideas, when he gets done rolling his eyes and telling me how silly i am.
I am getting really nervous about this. The last thing i want is one of them to come to harm. Especially if i know i was told. :confused::(

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So my husband is more wonderful than even i know sometimes. He already knew this was stressing me out and has a plan to add an angled upward cap, so it will be more open. It will be more than 4 inches. He is going to redo the gate, so access will not be a problem. I will not have to worry about escape. At least not for ways i have thought of.
Thank you everyone for your patience and opinions. Hopefully will have more pictures in a few weeks.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Well this is close to done. Planted last weekend, insulated box just needs a heater. We screwed plastic roof panels to the railroad ties, so they won't be able to get any holds for climbing. The tires will be plant boxes until i can build nicer ones, for my food.

Attachments

• 0331151917a.jpg
    0331151917a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 0331151852a.jpg
    0331151852a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 0331151853.jpg
    0331151853.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Uh, I feel totally ripped off... Lol.... All that work, that massive pen and only 3 pictures?? :p ;)

I'd love lots more photos when you get the chance ;) maybe some with the tenants too!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The plastic roof panels was a good idea. They shouldn't get any grip on that. I saw earlier that you said something about planting tomatoes, I think the vines are poisonous. So you might want to avoid tomatoes. But they would love the squash and other things. Is the night box able to be divided if needed? Can your husband come and build my tortoise one? :) hopefully the weather will cooperate and they can get out there soon. Then you can get started on the other pens :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Uh, I feel totally ripped off... Lol.... All that work, that massive pen and only 3 pictures?? :p ;)

I'd love lots more photos when you get the chance ;) maybe some with the tenants too!
I will. Hopefully some weeds will grow in the next week or so n it will be more photogenic. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The plastic roof panels was a good idea. They shouldn't get any grip on that. I saw earlier that you said something about planting tomatoes, I think the vines are poisonous. So you might want to avoid tomatoes. But they would love the squash and other things. Is the night box able to be divided if needed? Can your husband come and build my tortoise one? :) hopefully the weather will cooperate and they can get out there soon. Then you can get started on the other pens :)
The house is divided with one side smaller that will open in the corner. It is my tortoise time out/quarantine area. I will bring in my male shortly and add a female or 2, 1 at a time. The tomatoes will be up in the tires so they can't get them. I planted testudo mix, radishes, carrots and arugula. I habve daliahs, pansies, snap dragons, lavender, and several other flowers growing in the green house to plant in June.