Outdoor Enclosure in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
We haven't had a frost here in the last 6 weeks and the plants have really been growing. It hasn't been warm enough for the torts to be out very much, but yesterday was nice and I got some photos.

Enclosures with lilacs in bloom.
TortoiseEnclosure6-21-11.jpg

Molly eating the Irish moss.
Molly6-21-11.jpg

Maggie just leaving the warm water.
Maggie6-21-11.jpg

Maggie feasting on little chicory and red clover plants.
MaggieJune2111.jpg

Young grape vine.
GrapeVine.jpg

Calibrachoa.
Calibrachoa.jpg

Pansy, lost in the grass and ground cover.
Pansy.jpg

Pansy, strawberry, and lilac.
PansyandStrawberry.jpg

Ice plant.
IcePlant.jpg

Cement tort with dichondra. The deer keep the top leaves eaten off.
Dichondra.jpg

The torts like it out there. The leopards hide in deep grass, up against the shrubs. In their area, the Hermanns hide under a tile, in soft dirt, or deep in the base of a shrub. It can be a challenge in the evening to find them all, but they tend to use the same spots so I'm not really searching the whole area.
Thanks for looking!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like tortoise paradise to me. Wow, you've got gardening skills. Very nice pics Edna, thanks for sharing them.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Those are great shots. Thanks for sharing. I love all the color that you have. It always amazes me, since I am Texas, of the other growing periods of other areas. We have had blooms since March and several triple digit temp days everything is just about brown. We finally got some rain last night. First time in 2 months. :D So, everything is watered and happy.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks, guys. It felt like I was creating a secret garden just for torts:) The wall is low, the the yard is about 4 feet above street level; it really is a secret garden. I planted with an eye toward preserving the plants that were already present. That meant planting flowers right in the middle of grass and ground cover, never done that before.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Nice! I love your tortoise enclosures alot.

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the leaves from lilac are toxic to tortoises. Is this true... or do yours just not mess with them?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
SnakeyeZ said:

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the leaves from lilac are toxic to tortoises. Is this true... or do yours just not mess with them?

The deer eat the lilac leaves, especially those on new growth. My torts haven't eaten lilac leaves. Googling now!
I found lilac on safe plant lists more often than on toxic plant lists. Seems inconclusive, so I'm going to err on the side of not removing lovely established plants.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Edna said:
SnakeyeZ said:

The deer eat the lilac leaves, especially those on new growth. My torts haven't eaten lilac leaves. Googling now!
I found lilac on safe plant lists more often than on toxic plant lists. Seems inconclusive, so I'm going to err on the side of not removing lovely established plants.

Ah okay! Only reason I thought this is because I wanted to add some to my tortoises diet but got discouraged because of this thread.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Lilacs?highlight=lilac#axzz1QGKyajec

And this post...

emysemys said:
Hi Countrymouse (Did we ever learn your name or where you are?):

Lilac flowers are edible, but the leaves are toxic.

weigela leaves are safe.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I love your yard and your tortoises are beautiful. How old are they? They have such beautiful marbleing.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks, Joy. My leopards will be one year old at the end of August. They are sister-cousins to Tom's bunch and I got them from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.