Outdoor Enclosure, Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
K, we are building a temporary outdoor enclosure for Roger. Eventually I want to make him a garden type enclosure but for now a box it is. I plan to make a 8x4 box with a bottom. It will have a screen top lid. I've read that I need to put plastic or a tarp down to help protect the wood, if I do that, how do I make it rain ready? I want to grow real plants in it so I don't want to completely cover it from the rain bit I dont want the water to build up. Any suggestions?

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
I wouldn't put plastic in it. You can put landscape fabric on the bottom if you don't want the dirt to escape. But plastic isn't breathable and will hold in the water and make it a giant water-logged pool. Just use a good outdoor wood such as cedar to build the box and assume that after 10 years or so, it may need to be replaced. This is the planter box we used for ours

Picture%2520032.jpg

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
You can always buy water seal. What's it called? Thompsons or something? Drill holes in the bottom for drainage. I think it's much easer and better for the tort's mental well-being to allow it to burrow a bit -- instead of "bottoming" the enclosure, why not dig a 1 or so trench around the perimeter, sink bricks/chicken wire -- it would solve drainage and give the tort something to do other that walk in circle and scratch at the corners...

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
I intend to do that next spring. By the time I could finish an in ground enclosure it will be too cold to use it, that's why I'm going the temporary route for now.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
However, if it is out in the rain, Tytle is right, it will become water logged. Drilling holes might help, but they could become blocked. With a heavy rain, your tortoise could drown.
If an enclosure is outside, it has to have a screen or some kind of permeable bottom. Yes, covering it with a tarp will prevent water logging, but also prevent UV from reaching your tort, so there is no value to being outside. And if you weren't there, and it warmed up, your tort could over heat.
There really probably isn't any way to have an tortoise table outside unless there is very good drainage.

You can use several products to protect indoor tables as mentioned above. Also a pond liner, tarp, or heavy duty shower curtain folded and stapled up the side.

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
I might be late, but I lined the bottom of our chameleon cage with roofing felt to protect from soil and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.