My Outdoor enclosure (temporary)

Jovon

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I finally got my outdoor enclosure ready for the tortoises it is temporary but it works for now. C580FA75-018A-4FF7-868B-97F3DA03D9C2.jpegThe wood planks on top and styrofoam cooler will not always be there they are just there for a temporary house till I move them completely into this enclosure. Soon there will be a screen on top and we will extend the enclosure to give them even more space!!!!!!!! They are loving it!

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Glad the torts are enjoying it! One thing that I see is that you are using a ramp bowl. They are great for flexible lizards but not at all suitable for tortoises. Torts are known to flip over in them and drown, I would replace it with a terracotta saucer which have low siding and are shallow. They are cheap and work great!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I finally got my outdoor enclosure ready for the tortoises it is temporary but it works for now. View attachment 300467The wood planks on top and styrofoam cooler will not always be there they are just there for a temporary house till I move them completely into this enclosure. Soon there will be a screen on top and we will extend the enclosure to give them even more space!!!!!!!! They are loving it!
I would go much higher with those walls. It's only a matter of time before one goes over that.

Beaumont, Tx
I just purchased a Testudo Tortoise for my daughter last week. I built it an outdoor enclosure near a shade trade and also get's a good amount of sunlight. I live in Texas where it's 100+. The enclosure has a soaking bowl, a saucer for water and one for food. I have a piece of plywood over one corner for hiding and shade along with a broken flower pot to hide in as well. Since we've had it I have not seen it eat or drink anything. We leave it outside during the day and bring it inside where it's 75 degrees at night. I don't have a basking light yet. I'm going to purchase one today or tomorrow. I put a calcium block along with kale and romaine lettuce and also some tortoise food from the pet store. It hasn't touched any of it. I have organic potting soil and forest mulch for bedding. I plan to plant some hibiscus, dandilions and other edible plants soon as well. Can someone please help me out here? I don't know if I should take it to the Vet for a check up or what. What could be the problem? I know that you are supposed to have an indoor enclosure with the correct humidity and heat lamp for basking. I've attached photos of the outdoor enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 16

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would go much higher with those walls. It's only a matter of time before one goes over that.
I second that! Replace Russian Tortoise with Monkey and then plan accordingly. I have fence under and over the enclosure
IMG_1773 (3).jpegIMG_1769 (8).jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Definitely raise it 3x higher. One tort stepping on the other one’s back & one is quickly gone. Move all food & water bowls away from the edges as sell.