Outdoor Enclosure Prep

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hey everyone! It’s that time of year again. Getting my outdoor enclosure cleaned out and ready to plant plenty if edible hiding places. Any suggestions for what to plant for Eastern/ Three Toed. So far i have:
Elephant Ear Bulbs (for shade)
Strawberries (obviously)
Kale
Mustard Greens
Radish
Turnip
Cherry Tomato
And about 4 kinds of Green Lettuces
A32D1CF7-0919-44BF-9A2C-487C757563E2.jpgIMG_8946.jpg

NickA

Mid Atlantic
I like hosta for cover but Iv never seen my box turtles eat it. Around mid summer when they are huge I will pull leaves off them for my sulcatas.

Relic

Here
My box turtles pay very little attention to plants that don't bear fruit; they hide under "green," but don't eat it. They spend more time actively looking for insects / worms, than paying attention to the horticulture. I have an area where I place food daily (bananas, strawberries, tomatoes, etc.) and they come running. But leafy greens just don't appeal to them much.

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
My box turtles pay very little attention to plants that don't bear fruit; they hide under "green," but don't eat it. They spend more time actively looking for insects / worms, than paying attention to the horticulture. I have an area where I place food daily (bananas, strawberries, tomatoes, etc.) and they come running. But leafy greens just don't appeal to them much.

Oh Yes. They definitely come running when i put down their food. And they love to forage for wiggly things. However, Last year i planted some lettuce in there and they tore it up. I think it was called “bib lettuce”. They also love romaine when i put it in for them. Oddly the biggest hit is corn on the cob. I only give that as a treat tho, as it is not very nutritional.

Relic

Here
I've thrown mostly-eaten cooked corn cobs in for them before and they seemed to like it, but I found it was also attracting rats who seem to love it...rats & fire ants; it's always something.

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I've thrown mostly-eaten cooked corn cobs in for them before and they seemed to like it, but I found it was also attracting rats who seem to love it...rats & fire ants; it's always something.

That’s not good. Luckily i haven’t had that happen (knock on wood). I did get a swarm of carpenter ants last summer. I didn’t want to use any poison so i just drown them with the garden hose. They never came back as far as i can tell.

Plato Zorba

New Jersey
I have clover and dandelion as general ground cover in my enclosure though I can't say I've ever witnessed any of my easterns eating it. Other that that I have blueberry and raspberry bushes and I usually plant a cherry tomato plant in the spring as well just to let the fruit drop to the ground.