Plants for outdoor enclosure

Ida K

Hello :)
I would like to know what plants are good for providing shade in an outdoor enclosure, especially after Ollie overheated today while venturing outside. I immediately soaked him in slightly warm water and he's a-okay!
He doesn't have an outdoor enclosure right now since I'm in the process of building one. Getting the wood, wire, and sealant tomorrow (is redwood okay as long as it's sealed?) and I've already planted kale, collards, and turnip and mustard greens, which have all sprouted and are growing. California poppy has also sprouted recently, and strawberry clover is just beginning to poke through. What else should I add? He is a mature RT.
Much thanks!

Ida K

I forgot to add, just ordered some chicory online and I planted chia today :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I plant rosemary, lavender, sage, and jade in my enclosures for shade. The tortoises nibble on them a little now and them, but for the most part they leave them a lone. I also have a variety of fruit trees growing in the pens. The tortoises munch on the fallen leaves, and I use the fruit for my box turtles and other animals. Hope that was helpful!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I use aged, older, tough to chew opuntia cactus plants. So far they are holding up against the russians ability to eat and destroy just about anything.

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
This is a list that I copy and pasted from one of the posts from an admin, Tom, that I reference frequently:

Mulberry leaves

Grape vine leaves

Hibiscus leaves

African hibiscus leaves

Blue hibiscus leaves

Rose of Sharon leaves

Rose leaves

Geraniums

Gazanias

Lavatera

Pansies

Petunias

Hostas

Honeysuckle

Cape honeysuckle

Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...

Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:

There are soooooooo many...

Dandelion

Mallow

Filaree

Smooth Sow thistle

Prickly Sow thistle

Milk thistle

Goat head weed

Cats ear

Nettles

Trefoil

Wild onion

Wild mustard

Wild Garlic

Clovers

Broadleaf plantain

Narrow leaf plantain

Chick weed

Hawksbit

Hensbit

Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:

"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html

Homegrown alfalfa

Mazuri Tortoise Chow

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hostas are great & rose of sharrons grow fast and spread! I transplanted tall weeds into my enclosure when I built it. Totally worth it :)

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Grapevines are THE BEST for shade, and they LOVE the leaves. They grow fast too. Oh, I saw cape honeysuckle on Tom's list. It's a good one for shade too--and a fast grower.