Plants for Russian Tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
I am building an outdoor enclosure for a Russian Tortoise that I will be adopting next week and I am not sure if it is okay to buy plants from a nursery or if I have to plant everything from seed. Please offer any advice. Thank you. The reason I ask is because of the fertlizer/insecticide issue of already grown plants.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Buy from seed. Safer and the seeds establish themselves better than the plants. Going to take a month to get a good supply of tall grasses.

Maybe you can keep your Torts busy with a flat of Dichondra?

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
I got brought seed off Sulcatefood.com, the price is nice. I haven't gotten the seed yet, so I can't say how fast it grows.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Sure, no problem. I just got my Russian on Sunday, so I figure us new guys have to help each other out.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
you can check out carolinapetsupply.com also they have a nice selection of seeds some specifically geared towards Russians. I have bought from them and both me and my torts have been happy with the results.

Jon

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it is an independent nursery ask if they use chemicals, some do some don't/

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you have the height, you might want to plant a small shrub or two for shade, until the weeds grow up.
Shake off a most of the loose dirt and replant, or you can even put them in the enclosure in a pot so they can be watered/flushed out for a week or so.
Rose of Sharon (they get big but you can keep it trimmed and they love the flowers/leaves), Carex grasses, Hosta (some are large), Weigela, Mulberry, daylily (not a shrub but like a grass), more I can't think of....
A good idea to check with a few nurseries in your area regarding chemicals, sometimes the independent ones don't.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I bought some russian seed mix from carolinapetsupply.com and my tort loves it & I love it. It's priced nice & it starts growing in about a week. I can even grow it in her indoor enclosure. She likes to eat it before it gets growing well so when inside she gets it replanted quite a bit.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Laura said:
pansies, nastursiums, Aloe, clover, lettuce...
My Russians don't eat nastursiums :( I have lots of them planted in their pen too.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Plantain, pansies, sedum (wont last long).... lots and lots.

Tortoise table is a good food site for tortoises.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
[/quote]
My Russians don't eat nastursiums :( I have lots of them planted in their pen too.

[/quote]

Maybe they think they are too pretty :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.