Outdoor enclosure size

PatC

Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
I have a red foot that is about 3 months old. He is living inside in a tortoise table and seems to be doing well. I plan to keep him inside for a few years but want to start planning and building his outside enclosure for him to spend short periods outside. I want this to be a one time build so I want to make sure it is large enough. I’m looking at an area that is 9’ x 10’. Is this large enough for an adult red foot?

PatC

Baton Rouge, LA
Also he how important is fruit to their diet? I have offered it about twice a week but has had shown no interest. I have tried mango, apple, pear and watermelon with no success. IMG_3125.jpg58127446814__8A215BA3-E484-4716-8BE6-6CC0BED5092F.jpg
Pics of my sweet baby!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the thing about enclosure size: Its all just opinion. An adult RF is not going to drop dead if put into a 4x4' enclosure, as long as its needs are met. Personally, I "feel" that 4x4 is too small.

9x10' would be a good size for a small one, but I think its too small for an adult. I'd go 30x30, or larger. If all the space you have is 9x10', well, that is better than 4x4'.

PatC

Baton Rouge, LA
Here is the thing about enclosure size: Its all just opinion. An adult RF is not going to drop dead if put into a 4x4' enclosure, as long as its needs are met. Personally, I "feel" that 4x4 is too small.

9x10' would be a good size for a small one, but I think its too small for an adult. I'd go 30x30, or larger. If all the space you have is 9x10', well, that is better than 4x4'.

Thanks for the response. I get what your saying - bigger is better. I’ll revisit my outdoor space and see if I can make it larger. I have 6 grandchildren that are here regularly and want to keep the pen out of the line of Fire so to speak. They range from 3 to 10 and can get a little crazy!! Thanks again.