Outdoor Enclosure substrate types.

Catiandria

Location (City and/or State)
Dover, Florida
Good evening! I am revamping my Indian Stars outdoor enclosure. I live in florida so my natural soil is a dirt sand mixture. I am thinking of buying some sod for half and some smooth river gravel for the other side. Also looking to plant some succulents and his prickly pear cactus in there.

He is only outdoors during the day. From 5PM to around 8AM he is indoors. his outdoor enclosure is 8 feet long and about 3 feet wide. He is about 4 to 5 inches long and 3 years old. His outdoors enclosure is something fairly new. I've had him since he was 1 month old and I did not feel comfortable leaving him outdoors until he was older and larger. I set up The small outdoor area for him and want to find ways to spruce it up.

Any cool recommendations or set up ideas welcome! With this quarantine going on I have all the time to work it and set it up ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Good evening! I am revamping my Indian Stars outdoor enclosure. I live in florida so my natural soil is a dirt sand mixture. I am thinking of buying some sod for half and some smooth river gravel for the other side. Also looking to plant some succulents and his prickly pear cactus in there.

He is only outdoors during the day. From 5PM to around 8AM he is indoors. his outdoor enclosure is 8 feet long and about 3 feet wide. He is about 4 to 5 inches long and 3 years old. His outdoors enclosure is something fairly new. I've had him since he was 1 month old and I did not feel comfortable leaving him outdoors until he was older and larger. I set up The small outdoor area for him and want to find ways to spruce it up.

Any cool recommendations or set up ideas welcome! With this quarantine going on I have all the time to work it and set it up ??
Sod is grown with all sorts of weird chemical and plastic netting too. I would never let a tortoise near it. If you want grass, grow your own from a pasture mix. Even grass seed from the store is laced with weird stuff. Get seed intended for livestock to graze on. I like this one:

Gravel is a no go too. If its big enough to not swallow, it hard to walk on. If its small enough to walk on, its an impaction risk.

I just use the native soil for my outdoor enclosures. If yours isn't suitable, I'd cover it with a layer of orchid bark or cypress mulch.