outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
A bit ago we bought Ralph a dogloo. We fixed a heat lamp inside, put some reptile carpet and timothy hay on the bottom. In another part of his enclosure we have a rubbermaid tub with a hole in the side. Timothy hay on the bottom, no light. It's more for daytime shelter if he wants it. The "problem" is that he goes in the rubbermaid tub late afternoon and won't voluntarily go to the dogloo. I go out at night to turn on the lamp and put him inside the dogloo. Sometimes he just stays on the cool side, other nights he goes under the heat lamp. Mornings, he sleeps in later than when I was bringing him in the house at night. Outside he doesn't attempt to come out of the dogloo until about 11am or sometimes later. When he was in the house, he would wake anywhere from 930-1030. Should I just be leaving him in the rubbermaid tub for the night? Will he get it that if he's cold he should go in the dogloo?

He's healthy, active, eating, grazing, wanting attention during the day. When I don't open the enclosure, he does try to get out. Normally he is out on the grass for about 3-4 hours each day, just going back to his enclosure if I have to leave or when the schoolkids get out and walk by our back gate (they have begun to throw things at him, so I keep him in the enclosure when they go by) He is going to be 4 next month and weighs about 12-15 lbs.

:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How cold is it at night where you live? If its cold enough for the heater, you might try removing the rubbermaid house so he only has the Dogloo. Or maybe switch places and put the Dogloo where the Rubbermaid is and vice-versa.

Yvonne

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
buy a large heating pad and tape it to the inside of the rubbermaid.. if he goes in there at night then just plug it in.. it wont get very hot so it is safe... for the kids buy a arm sling shot or a BB gun and hide in the bushes.. the BB gun will be less painful so go with the sling shot...

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Do you think that the single heat lamp is enough heat for San Diego? Tonight it's in the mid 60's. In the winter it will get colder, probably down to the 40's on the coldest.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
A strong study Pig blanket by Stanfield will work better then a heating pad. They make lots of sizes, the best would be to fit half of a dog house so he can move onto it if needed of off. But how big is he? Its best for larger torts. be sure to get the temp gauge with it.
one heat lamp? Depends on the area its heating and how cold.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
you could put a cover or large towel over the doorway at night to hold the extra heat in, and keep the cold breeze out..

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
mtdavis817254 said:
you could put a cover or large towel over the doorway at night to hold the extra heat in, and keep the cold breeze out..

We already have a cover on the door. Instead of the cover that comes with the dogloo, we bought a clear shower curtain liner and cut it to size. We triple folded it and then cut it into strips. At night, I put a folding lid of a rubbermaid tub in front of it (1/2 folded so it stands up) so it blocks a lot of the wind. We may just go and get the cover that comes with the dogloo. It's a bit thicker and would seem to keep more cold out.

If we get a pig blanket, what side would I put it on? The side with the heat or the cold side?

Status
Not open for further replies.