Outdoor Enclosures for Little Ones?

Acorn87

I have a pretty young Hermann's and this summer I would like to give him as much natural UV light as possible by giving him an outdoor area. Space is limited where I'm at, but I'm confident I can make something big enough for Atlas. My main concern is that there are a lot of squirrels and cats and birds around, so I need to make it safe and secure. What is the best way to do this? I have noticed that many of the enclosures posted here do not have lids. I myself didn't have a lid on my indoor tortoise table at first, until I came home from work one day to find Atlas on the floor (a 3 foot drop) in the paws of a curious cat. I immediately solved that issue with a lid that the cats can not get him out of, but they like to sleep on top of the wire lid near the heat source. Atlas will only be outside 2-3 months at the top end of things, depending on our unpredictable Ontario, Canada weather.

All of that to say, how can I make sure an outdoor enclosure is secure for my tiny Hermann's?

Acorn87

Could I use the largest rubbermaid tub I can find, cut off the bottom, dig it into the ground, and use the lid to cut out a large area and replace it with screen?

maybeshoe

I have a pretty young Hermann's and this summer I would like to give him as much natural UV light as possible by giving him an outdoor area. Space is limited where I'm at, but I'm confident I can make something big enough for Atlas. My main concern is that there are a lot of squirrels and cats and birds around, so I need to make it safe and secure. What is the best way to do this? I have noticed that many of the enclosures posted here do not have lids. I myself didn't have a lid on my indoor tortoise table at first, until I came home from work one day to find Atlas on the floor (a 3 foot drop) in the paws of a curious cat. I immediately solved that issue with a lid that the cats can not get him out of, but they like to sleep on top of the wire lid near the heat source. Atlas will only be outside 2-3 months at the top end of things, depending on our unpredictable Ontario, Canada weather.

All of that to say, how can I make sure an outdoor enclosure is secure for my tiny Hermann's?

In SoCal I worry about crows. Whatever your neighborhood obnoxious king bird is (myna bird, bluejay, mockingbird, etc) they have great eyes and see from above. I understand human development in Death Valley has brought in seagulls and they eat the native tortoise hatchlings. We have a kiddie pool garden and leave a Hermann hatchling in there when someone is around. A dog works too. With other beings around I don't worry about cats or crows. What sucks is he will bury himself. Then its like a truffle hunt to find him. Not sure about your rubbermaid idea. I bet he could dig his way out of your enclosure whenever he wanted.

maybeshoe

I guess it depends what kind of soil. My guy could easily go 6" of potting soil.

I've been told Hermanns aren't supposed to dig. They hide under things. But my 4 month hatchling has burrowed from day 1.

Gbear

5 Year Member
If you put some kind of wire netting under your soil so he can't dig out it should be fine. You might want to surround it with cinder blocks so nothing can knock it over too. Wire netting might also be good for the lid as if something jumps on it, the wire won't give as much as screen would.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Wire netting might also be good for the lid as if something jumps on it, the wire won't give as much as screen would.
For a cover, at all costs you wasn't to cover it with 1/4" or 1/2" hardware clothe. If not sold on a roll by the foot, most hardware stores carry precut rolls 2'x5' or more. This is for bird protection mainly.
Then, why not try to lay down 1" or smaller chicken wire? This might keep him from digging while still allowing for plants to grow.
If you use the chicken wire, you'll want to check for any wires he may have broken that will cause him injury.

Turtlesfromcolo

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
This is my outdoor enclosure that I built for my 3 ornate yearlings (hinged lid) I Fill in with plants and hides for plenty of shade. It works really well. They stay out in this during the summer and back inside for winter.

Attachments

• 1491879728243.jpg
    1491879728243.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 27