Outdoor enclosure question

Nicole74

Location (City and/or State)
Central Alabama
We have a nice L shaped area that is hard to mow and I think would make a nice tortoise area. One area would be ~2 1/2-3 ft wide by 8ft long and the other part is ~4ft wide by 6ft long. Like many of the enclosures pictured it would be too big to put a lid on. Is that too big? Should I be looking at making one smaller that I can put a lid on?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is not at all too big to put a lid on. Quite easy, in fact.

What species and size tortoise are you putting in there?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
A russian or red/yellow foot. Your right a lid made in section would be manageable.

Tom is right, you could cover it in sections without much difficulty. Your three species choices are quite different in terms of size and needs (especially choosing between a Russian and a yellow foot!). What criteria are you using to help choose?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would not make it smaller. Are these hatchlings?

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
I have an 8x8 ft enclosure and made a screened cover for it. I made two frames and hold them together with bungee cords so I can open one section at a time. To keep them in place, I left the corner posts about 1/4" higher than the rest of the enclosure which allows to top to fit on securly. You could probably make a couple of sections for your enclosure as well.

2015-08-28 18.54.03.jpg

Nicole74

Central Alabama
I have an 8x8 ft enclosure and made a screened cover for it. I made two frames and hold them together with bungee cords so I can open one section at a time. To keep them in place, I left the corner posts about 1/4" higher than the rest of the enclosure which allows to top to fit on securly. You could probably make a couple of sections for your enclosure as well.

View attachment 155913
This is very nice. Thank you for sharing.

Jacqui it is very unlikely that we would have a hatching. Our preference is to provide a home for animals in need.We would also mostly only have one as space for indoor enclosures is limited. These are the tortoises that are usually being rehomed in our area.