outdoor heating

TiddlesTheTortoise2

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I am currently planning on building my hermanns tort an outdoor enclosure to live in all year round. My main issue with this is that I live in England so it tends to be very cold during winter so I would need a heat lamp outdoors, but we do not have an outdoor plug socket. What are my options here as I am dying to do this project?

My plan is to create something similar, but smaller, to the image attached. Meaning he would most likely stay in the green house during winter (unless we get a warm day).

What options are there (if any) if I do not, and cannot afford, an outdoor plug socket? I was thinking solar heat lamp but i’m not sure if I could find a small one as people tend to use them for chicken coops?

Attachments

• E7FD41CF-2EF0-4FFA-84FC-F0679CDEE740.jpeg
    E7FD41CF-2EF0-4FFA-84FC-F0679CDEE740.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 8

TiddlesTheTortoise2

Today is my birthday!
United Kingdom
I am currently planning on building my hermanns tort an outdoor enclosure to live in all year round. My main issue with this is that I live in England so it tends to be very cold during winter so I would need a heat lamp outdoors, but we do not have an outdoor plug socket. What are my options here as I am dying to do this project?

My plan is to create something similar, but smaller, to the image attached. Meaning he would most likely stay in the green house during winter (unless we get a warm day).

What options are there (if any) if I do not, and cannot afford, an outdoor plug socket? I was thinking solar heat lamp but i’m not sure if I could find a small one as people tend to use them for chicken coops?

i’ve just done a lot of reading on this and have realised it may not be the most suitable thing for all year round no matter how i make it, so possibly just for summer but it would still have to be warm. I’m thinking a heat pad in an insulated box?

I would still like to hear any ideas though as i’ve still not made up my mind and want other opinions :)

thanks again

zolasmum

5 Year Member
i’ve just done a lot of reading on this and have realised it may not be the most suitable thing for all year round no matter how i make it, so possibly just for summer but it would still have to be warm. I’m thinking a heat pad in an insulated box?

I would still like to hear any ideas though as i’ve still not made up my mind and want other opinions :)

thanks again
As a UK resident myself, I agree with your second thoughts about an all year enclosure - especially with the unpredictable weather we get here.
I'm sure you could talk to an electrician about installing an outdoor plug socket. I think they may have to have special qualifications for this, but it shouldn't be really expensive -you might need extra safety equipment though.

TiddlesTheTortoise2

Today is my birthday!
United Kingdom
As a UK resident myself, I agree with your second thoughts about an all year enclosure - especially with the unpredictable weather we get here.
I'm sure you could talk to an electrician about installing an outdoor plug socket. I think they may have to have special qualifications for this, but it shouldn't be really expensive -you might need extra safety equipment though.
i’ve looked up the average price and it’s around 200 pounds apparently! Which isn’t ideal for my budget 😬😬.