Outdoor housing

THEELEG

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
image.jpg
If I make an outdoor enclosure with chicken wire all the way around to keep predators out, can I keep my little guy outside?? I live in Houston tx so it is plenty and I mean plenty hot, of course water dishes and places to go for shade. Also thought I'd share a picture of him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First: Chicken wire will not even keep a small dog out. Coyotes, raccoons, ravens, possums and even ground squirrels will go right through chicken wire. Use welded wire. 1x1 or 1x2".

2nd: Outside all the time is not good for babies. I put babies outside for an hour at a time and gradually increase to outside all day once they are around 5-6", but they still sleep inside. I don't move them outside fully imd until they are 8-10" and I make them an insulated, sealed, close able, heated night box. SOmething about the great outdoors in North America does not agree with baby sulcatas. They do much better when started mostly inside for their first few months.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
First: Chicken wire will not even keep a small dog out. Coyotes, raccoons, ravens, possums and even ground squirrels will go right through chicken wire. Use welded wire. 1x1 or 1x2".

2nd: Outside all the time is not good for babies. I put babies outside for an hour at a time and gradually increase to outside all day once they are around 5-6", but they still sleep inside. I don't move them outside fully imd until they are 8-10" and I make them an insulated, sealed, close able, heated night box. SOmething about the great outdoors in North America does not agree with baby sulcatas. They do much better when started mostly inside for their first few months.

Hey Tom, thanks for the response and good advise, as always. Right now we have a baby pool set up in the backyard with a variety of vegetation we grow for him to graze. We just wanted to have something a little bigger so he has more room to explore and exercise. And of course with more security to keep the predators away (as you mentioned.) We will definitely introduce him to his new habitat gradually to ensure his safety and well being.