outdoor/indoor enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
okay I'm new to these forums and need some help. I've had 2 russian tortoises(don't know what sexes though) for about 4 years or so. right now they are in a large rubber maid with a wooden tunnel, substrate is playsand on bottom-reptibark in middle-timothy hay on top. I have a simple UVB tube over them and a pretty big plastic water dish. I feed them mixed lettuce you would get at the grocerry store and carrots with an occasional apple or some fruit. I know this is probably not the ideal enclosure for them because I got them when I was 12 and was stupid and just did what the pet store told me to. I keep them in for parts of the spring and fall and the entire winter. so all suggestions on giving them whatever will give them the best possible indoor enclosure would be great!

as for the outside enclosure this will be my first time building one. how big should it be? I plan on having a large den for them made out of rocks and lots of hay for burrowing. I will put a roof over the den and some parts so it doesn't get too damp because it can ran a lot at times in pittsburgh. It will be mainly grass and I will have a large water dish(not large enough for them to drown) and I will fill it up with a hose. I will have a large section filled up with plants(if anyone can give me a list of good plants for them to eat that would be great), this will be their main food source. How do I get them their calcium being in an outside enclosure with growing plants though(I normally dust their food)?

ALL suggestions would be great, even the smallest things because like I've said I've had a very basic set up for awhile and don't know much.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Welcome to the forum and I am glad you are researching what their needs really are. Here is a website with a lot of helpful info www.russiantortoise.org If you post pics of their backends and bellies so that we can see the tail, we can tell you what sex they are. Usually, the male has a longer fatter tail that extends over to the leg. The females is much shorter.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ok I agree with Dee just really read the link she provide you with it gives you a wealth of information on inside enclosures as well as outside pens.
a not of caution. I would not use just play sand or any type of sand in an enclosure. if they ingest it, it can cause impaction problems. Reptibark usually contains some type of Fir or conifer tree. These are not good for torts. No type of pine it gives off noxious fumes that can make your tort sick. Timothy hay is fine. No Alfalfa it is too high in protein if they eat it. What ever type of enclosure you have inside or out make it interesting for the tort. Have different substrates in different parts of the enclosure, some rocks (make sure they are too big for the tort to eat) hay, dirt, bed a beast, things they can climb on, under or through. Plants can be planted in the ground or if inside can also be planted in pots that are easy to remove should the need arise. Remember Russians are escape artists so make it secure, Make it predator proof, be it Raccoons, a cat or dogs. Make sure if it is outside no one can dig under, them to get out or anything to get in. Look through this enclosure section, there are a lot of great ideas for making him one on the forum.

On the Russian link it talks about an outside enclosure with a dry area made by a deck box with a heat lamp for colder times. Check that out it may be just what you need for the outside enclosure with a minimum amount of cost and work.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks so much, I have a huge list of edible plants, but since I won't have room for them all, what are some good plants I should make sure I get so they get their nutrition? It will definately be escape/predator proof I have that planned out. another question, I've heard most plants have pesticides on them what do I do about that?

I live in pittsburgh and my main concern is that spring-fall can be very wet and nasty out and the summer can get pretty humid(not as bad as say florida, but more than most would expect)

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
how big should the indoor/outdoor enclosures be?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
My guys always love dandelion a weed that grows abundantly! Maybe you could grow some hosta, which is easy to care for and comes back every year. And a few of the flowers. Then you could supplement with greens from the grocery store if you can't get them all started this year. Russians are pretty tolerant to temperatures. I will be putting my Russians out within the next week or so. I am in NJ so you are probably a little cooler than me, but you can put leaves in their enclosure and they will hide underneath and come out in the morning. My outdoor enclosure for 3 of my Russians is 5' x 10'. And, I would feel fine adding a couple of my others in there if I needed to.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was going to make it like 8x8 I will probably by some plants to just plant in the soil so I can get them in the enclosure faster because I think they will like it outside more. I was also wondering if there is anyway I could get another tortoise or two because I think it would be cool to have a group of them and I have room to make the enclosure bigger if needed.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
An 8x8 should be fine for your two. You can get a lot of seed blends to plant in there enclosures, I use turtlecafe.com and they have russian blend of seeds that mine chow on, they also like daylillies, dandelions, hibiscus, geraniums, mine eat grass (but some don't always), grape vines (no grapes though).

Also avoid fruit as it is not good for them, I use big fake rocks, flower pots, big plastic bowls w/ a side cut out, wooden boxes for hides and mine normally go for the fake rocks or the plastic bowls. If it is really rainy then you might want to consider building your enclosure above ground so the water can drain out, (I pile 10-15 large bags of mulch in each of my 8x8 enclosures so they are above the ground instead of digging into the dirt, this way there pens don't flood w/ rain) Plus the sides of mine have small spaces to allow for water drainage.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks, so I want to also completely redo my indoor enclosure, was thinking of making a 2 story wooden one(with safety precautions of course), how long should it be? I think I know what I will be planting outside, but for indoors I thought I could get a few potted plants from the store down the road, what would be some good choices for these? I will also give them different greens from the store.

sorry for all the questions!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
You are better off to grow your own in pots unless you can find them organically grown. Too many chemicals on prepotted plants. You could grow some of the lettuces, dandelion, etc. off of the list.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I also had another idea. Get two rubbermaids and put a heat bulb in one and a small fan in the other. This way if it is too hot, they could cool off or if it is too cold they could warm up. not sure how well this would work though?

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
And would plexiglass be fine to use as a roof because I can't let too much rain get in because the area of the yard I'm using gets pretty mucky at times.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
James, Plexiglass may also keep the humidity in or high, if there is a lot of rain. If you are talking about inside enclosures Rubbermaid totes should work fine. More than likely will only have to deal with heat issues during the Winter. Summers they would be outside Right?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I don't know if I would use plexiglass as a roof. It would really heat up the enclosure really high almost like magnification. I think you would be better off using something else. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

jejton

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
An 8x8 should be fine for your two. You can get a lot of seed blends to plant in there enclosures, I use turtlecafe.com and they have russian blend of seeds that mine chow on, they also like daylillies, dandelions, hibiscus, geraniums, mine eat grass (but some don't always), grape vines (no grapes though).

Also avoid fruit as it is not good for them, I use big fake rocks, flower pots, big plastic bowls w/ a side cut out, wooden boxes for hides and mine normally go for the fake rocks or the plastic bowls. If it is really rainy then you might want to consider building your enclosure above ground so the water can drain out, (I pile 10-15 large bags of mulch in each of my 8x8 enclosures so they are above the ground instead of digging into the dirt, this way there pens don't flood w/ rain) Plus the sides of mine have small spaces to allow for water drainage.

I really like that idea. I'm designing an outdoor pen/s for my torts and dont really want to dig out 64 cubic feet of dirt ( 8x8 and wire laid 1 foot deep so they can dig but not get out ). Does it matter what kind of dirt I use to fill in? I have a big pile of mulch to lay over the dirt as well.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I agree, no plexiglass for a roof. It will magnify the sun.
How about a raised mini shed with a ramp (with sides) going up to it so he can get out of the rain... Or, an Igloo dog house raised up on a platform with a ramp. The igloos are insulated so are cooler when it gets hot and will keep the rain out. I don't have a problem when it rains, but I do use Igloos cause they can hide in a cooler place. I also lay some boards across the top of the Igloos, which are in a corner, to help keep them cooler with shade.
Take pictures for us to see when you get it built
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.