Outdoor temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I live in Northwest Indiana. I was wondering what are the extremes on the temps I need to worry about.She is out 24/7 currently. Right now the lowest it's been getting is 75/80 F at night. Highest is 102 during the day- usually closer to 90/92 though (she already has started a burrow- a good 3-4 ft one now lol). I just want to prepare myself for when I need to start bringing her in at night, especially since Indiana weather is so unpredictable.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Best guess is around 15 but I have a pic of her on another thread next to a horse feeder pan for reference. She's either stunted or youngr because I would expect her to be bigger by now. She's a rescue that I was fostering, and is now an official foster failure.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
Aubs1220 said:
Best guess is around 15 but I have a pic of her on another thread next to a horse feeder pan for reference. She's either stunted or youngr because I would expect her to be bigger by now. She's a rescue that I was fostering, and is now an official foster failure.

I think it is wonderful that you are a foster failure and should be proud of yourself..I'm sure your tort is...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At that age, I would think 65-70 she should be brought in. However that's my guess. My leopard is much younger, so I won't go below a sunny 70-75. When he is older, I would think a sunny 65-70 would be fine. Hopefully others with adults will chime in. So here's a bump also.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Thanks. Yeah I need to ask about stunting too. If she'll catch up, etc....

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
As long as there is shade and water available the high temps should not be a problem.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I'm more worried about cooler temps. She always has water she can drink and soak in and her burrow is well on its way. Thanks guys!

SteveP

5 Year Member
Royal Palm Beach, FL
Aubs1220 said:
I'm more worried about cooler temps. She always has water she can drink and soak in and her burrow is well on its way. Thanks guys!

I think your current temp are fine with some shade, but any cooler at night you will want some warmer places.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
mary t said:
I think it is wonderful that you are a foster failure and should be proud of yourself..I'm sure your tort is...

Thank you :) I'm so excited to have her as part of the family now. My husband thinks I'm nuts because I ask him to pull over when I see weeds for her.....

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Aubs1220 said:
Thank you :) I'm so excited to have her as part of the family now. My husband thinks I'm nuts because I ask him to pull over when I see weeds for her.....

Oh we all do that, just be careful that they may not have been sprayed with pesticides.. Recently I got a few tip from Tom about collecting weeds and seeds.. Lol.. I got mine from a friend who's 12 yr old decided it was to much to handle. You know years ago when they got him as a baby I said, oh cool if you ever get rid of him let me know.... Well, now I have a very spoiled 19 pound 7 year old stomping around my backyard...but I would change it for the world... Good luck and keep reading all over this forum. I have learned mounds of stuff seem to learn something new everyday, a lot of people here really know a lot and are always willing to answer questions. It's wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.