Outdoor Tortoise Pen & Predators

crabby-J

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello again! I have a few questions now that the weather is warming and I am able to take my tortoise outside!

First off I bought a raised garden "pen" and was going to place it over a grassy area and add some cypress mulch, water bowl and hideaway for him but I worry about predators!!

I had Raymond outside yesterday and it was gorgeous and you could tell he loved every minute of it, but I noticed birds flying around us and it got me thinking, what predators do baby red foots have in Michigan?

I know any crow, hawk or small mammal, cat could carry and take him away but is there any thing I should do to cover the outdoor pen? Has anyone ever "lost" a baby tortoise to being outside? I'd really rather not risk it or just watch him the entire time he is outside like I do now...

Anyone?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I think a lot of members here use a wire mesh like chicken wire.
Glass or plastic is no good as it greatly reduces the ultra violet rays.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, you do have to worry about predators, especially if Raymond is a baby. Birds can and do carry them off, dropping them on rocks or cement to break their shells. Raccoons, coyotes, etc. all are worrisome.

Design some sort of framework with wire that you can put over the raised bed, and think about bringing the baby in at night.