Outdoor Tortoise Question

herp606

Location (City and/or State)
NorCal
I am researching how to care for pet tortoises. If I got one I would probably get a redfoot or a hermanns tortoise. When it gets under 50 degrees at night do the tortoises need extra heat, or do they need extra heat when it gets under 60? Is it safe to provide heat when it's so cold? I was wondering if I could take the tortoises inside each night and put them in a small heated enclosure inside, and take them back outside in the morning. Also, how cold is too cold for redfoot tortoises at daytime?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes definitely too cold at 50F and 60F.

The amount of heat depends on the species.

Babies of all species mustn’t drop below 85F day or night

Red and yellow foots need a steady 85F day and night with no basking lamp.

Adult Russians can tolerate 65F overnight as long as it gets much warmer by day.

Please read the care sheet for each species that is pinned at the top of each species forum to understand how the species you may be interested in must be cared for in order to be healthy.

herp606

NorCal
Ok. Thanks for the advice! I probably couldn't get a redfoot unless I could keep it indoors (which I probably couldn't).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok. Thanks for the advice! I probably couldn't get a redfoot unless I could keep it indoors (which I probably couldn't).
RFs do not do well in Cali. Too dry here.

A hermanni will do great. Indoors at night and during cold weather, and outdoors during nice weather will work well for an adult. Here is the care info for that species, including a heated outdoor box design.