Outside enclosure for Rio, the Cherry Head with MBD

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Working on this outside enclosure in our yard so that Rio can enjoy the outside during the day.
Still going to add some kind of seed/grass mix, additional plants, and another flower pot hide.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
View attachment 330931
I love it! Only thing I would suggest is to add much larger shade bushes and more hide areas since redfoots don't like direct, open, sunny areas.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Looks cozy!

Direct sun for even a short time kills RFs - they have not evolved to deal with it. In their native digs, it is overgrown forest with minimal sunlight getting to the ground. Even if the air temp is cool, that black carapace will suck up heat and go to "Cook" pretty quickly.

Giant varieties of Hosta would be fabulous (edible for torts and peeps), and are easy to come by this time of year:

A lot of these monkeys can climb reaaaaally well - perhaps double or even triple the height of the walls if s/he's going to be left alone, and make sure it is smooth all the way along inside. We get a pretty regular stream of Lost Redfoot threads.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I'd go with clover seed instead of grass because RF's think it's tasty, it stays low, and it doesn't take over so easily.

More shade for sure. They really don't like sun once it gets above the mid 60's F. You could use a shade cloth or lath if you don't want to add more plants. Set it up nice and high so you can work under it easily.

If you want to get fancy, you can add things like elevation changes and barriers to block the line of sight (of the tort) so Rio has to explore more to see everything. A low, long hill works well and can incorporate a tunnel as a hide/shortcut.

Sonnenblume

South Carolina
Looks cozy!

Direct sun for even a short time kills RFs - they have not evolved to deal with it. In their native digs, it is overgrown forest with minimal sunlight getting to the ground. Even if the air temp is cool, that black carapace will suck up heat and go to "Cook" pretty quickly.

Giant varieties of Hosta would be fabulous (edible for torts and peeps), and are easy to come by this time of year:

A lot of these monkeys can climb reaaaaally well - perhaps double or even triple the height of the walls if s/he's going to be left alone, and make sure it is smooth all the way along inside. We get a pretty regular stream of Lost Redfoot threads.
There is actually a shed right behind it, and a huge tree off to the side and another shrub in front of it. so there is more shade than the picture shows.
However, I will be adding more plants to it as I go along, especially Hosta. We have a bunch I can split up.
Rainforest overgrown feel is supposed to be the end result.

I didnt make the wall too high because I dont think he can climb that well because of his MBD. He can barely get out of the pool in there :)

Making a hill is a great idea! Will definitely do that.
And will also look into getting some seeds so he has food in there, great suggestions!